Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMAK Install help!

D'Saber

I just purschaesd the CMAK for windows which installed with no problem on my desktop. However on my brand new HP 5255 LT, the CD just whirls in the drive.

The LT has no problem with other data CD, audio CD and can even play Doom 3.

I think that there's a compatability problem or something.

Please emal your suggestions to

latinsaber2004@yahoo.com

Tony Alvarez

Carlisle, PA

It sounds like your HP's CD/DVD has a problem with the CD. If your other drive can read it (currently), I'm not sure what to say.

Can you see the contents of the CD at all or does the drive just constantly spin and (I assume) eventually give you a read error ? You can double-check your CD for scratches and dust. Some drives have better error correction capability (due to scratches or other anomalys associated with the optical pickup) which can make reading various CDs much more easier, while other drives will cough-up on the first or with a few read errors.

If you can see the contents of the CD, just copy them to an empty folder and attempt the install from there (assuming the copy process goes without problem). I'd also suggest disabling any anti-virus protection you may have running or any other utilities that interact with the CD/DVD that may be loaded.

If you have some other storage media (that can hold about 650Mb), you may want to use that to move files between the computer that doesn't have any problems with the CMAK CD and your HP and run the install off of those files (you will of course need the CD to play the game - copy protection check).

[ September 20, 2004, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

From the "Be Sure To Check Out The Online Troubleshooting Guides Before Posting Questions...." stickied at the top:

Install Issues (PC):

Problem: CMAK disc is inserted in CD-Rom drive but game does not autorun/auto install.

Cause/Solution: You may have the autorun feature disabled on your CD Drive. In order to launch the install click on your My Computer shortcut on your desktop then Right Click on the icon for your CD Drive. Select EXPLORE and a window with the CMAK CD's contents will be displayed. Double click on the Setup.exe file to launch the installer. You can alternatively first copy the full Setup.exe to your hard drive and then launch it which will install the game but you will need to remember to then delete the Setup.exe file once the game is installed and working. Copying the Setup.exe to your computer before running it can speed up the install process.

Be aware that some CD drives can take nearly ten minutes to fully scan the CD before you will be able to open up the contents. See the next entry for this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: Computer or CD Drive seems to hang/freeze when trying to launch the game installer.

Cause/Solution: Some CD/DVD Drives can have problems reading and accessing a disc with as much data (over 650 megs) as the CMAK disc. While it may appear that your computer has frozen it may be that the CD/DVD drive is trying to read the full CD's contents. This can sometimes take upwards of 10 minutes for the drive to finish. If it seems like your computer is frozen when the CD is accessed the first time, be patient, give it about 10 minutes and see if the system does not unfreeze and proceed as normal. After the CD/DVD drive finally completes scanning the game disc it may or may not autorun the installer. If it does not, see above Cause/Solution entry in order to manually launch the installer.