Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBB...freezes...rebooting from bugcheck...

I don´t seem to find any good answers anywhere regarding this problem in XP. Have anyone had these problems with CM?

Reboot when playing CMBB:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf2bbf17a, 0xf4b0cc60, 0xf4b0c960). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081804-01.dmp.

All to often this also happens:

Faulting application barbarossa to berlin.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module barbarossa to berlin.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x001662f5.

Or:

Fault bucket 129438540.

I have all the latest drivers and so installed.

Would much appreciate any advice on this.

Can´t be memory - I have changed nothing like that since the machine worked like clockwork.

Cooling - well, I had my thoughts on that, but I have installed one more fan and the GPU now never goes beyond 63 degrees celsius with the overall temperature somewhere around 43.

Could it be some software or dll's that causes a conflict or so? I am at a loss.

Thanks for your reply Alkiviadis.

Do you have anything running in the background ? It doesn't have to be a major progam, some utilities may cause problems, etc.

Admittedly a lot of freezing in CM is often related to overheating components (CPU, video, etc.). This can be especially true since CM runs the CPU pretty hard.

As mentioned it could also be memory related. Though most diagnostics rarely can pinpoint a true memory problem, you can try some of these Microsoft Memory Diagnostics or Memtest86.

If you have the 'latest and greatest' in drivers, I suggest you possibly downgrade your video driver to an earlier version. On occasion some users have problems with the 6x.xx drivers (assuming you're using an Nvidia-based videocard). Using the 5x.xx may help.

Can you provide more details on what hardware you have ?

I'm kind of a minimalist, so I have got some 14 processes running in total, of which all are just the ones required for windows working properly.

I have also cleaned up the registry, made a virus scan and run both Ad-aware and Spybot.

Hardware specs:

Intel Pentium 2.53 ghz

MSI FX5900 128mb (non overclocked)

1 HD 80 gb - game only disk

1 HD 30 gb - system disk

Audigy 1

XP Pro updated per today

Nvidia forceware 61.77

I might try an older VGA driver as you suggested.

**As I write this, I reckon I tried coolbits and overclocked my card a while ago. I chose the automatic and safe option, but the card didn´t seem to like that, dropping me out to desktop with distorted graphics(kind of too much intensity or white on the screen). I then restored initial settings and rebooted and everything was fine. Before that, I never had any problems.

Could all this be the result of a permanent damage to my card perhaps?..please tell me it ain´t so.**

I'd assume if there were something wrong hardware-wise with your videocard that you'd probably see just lockups or graphical corruption rather than getting bug-check errors. However it's still a possibility, but I'd say a minor one at this point.

The video drivers would probably be the best bet at this point. Make sure you uninstall them completely (including registry entries) before installing the new ones. I suggest possibly rebooting between uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers just as an extra step that may help.

OK,

Done as you suggested. Have done some playtesting and guess what:

no problems. I have to have the game running a bit longer to be completely sure though.

Thanks very much for support!

Such a thing I wouldn´t have expected from Nvidias software.

I feel a little bit sorry though, because it seemed as the faulting driver gave me a tad bit better graphics quality and performance. But that I can live with.

Nevertheless, thanks again.

Regards Gurra

[ August 18, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Gurra ]