"Waffen Grenadier" ain't so bogus

Guest Mike

Just found a web site that referred to some Lithuanian units being reformed as "Waffen Grenadiers" so I did a Google search on the term, and lo and behold - there were, apparently a lot of Waffen Grenadier divisions.

The official term for such units seems to have been "Waffen Grenadier der SS", with "Waffen SS" being a Westernised abbreviation.

These units were essentially motorised infantry without armour (well they were supposed to be motorised), and some of them were quite obscure - their division numbers are from 11 to 30.

their constituent regimetns were also titled "Waffen Grenadier der SS".

[ October 03, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

The term "WaffenGrenadier der SS" was used exclusively for units that were predominatley non German. Estonian, Latvian, Ukrainian, etc.

Divisons with this title were still "officered" mainly by German natives, but the rank and file were non German. And even "German" units such as Horst Wessel and Reichsfuhrer SS were mainly composed of "VolksDeutsch" that were recruited/drafted from neighboring countries as Hungary and Romania. I can direct you to a text I have if you would like.

Juju, while later divisions like Wessel, RfSS, GvonB were not designated "der SS" and had a good combat record (effectiveness)they still should be considered a "step" below the 7 SS Panzer Divisions; not only for having lesser equipment disbursed to them, but also for having a less homogenous troop allotment.