Hull-down...

If you position a tank behind a hill and tell it to hunt towards the crest, it will stop when it spots an enemy tank. In most cases, that will make it hull down, since it spots from the turret. So you don't need to back up.

You do need to take a close look at the terrain so that the tank doesn't hunt forward too far after the duel is resolved and exposes itself.

I completely agree with Xerxes.

If fact, I would say that it should be mandatory that you reverse after exposing your tank. Otherwise plan on losing it...lady luck will give you plenty of situations where 4 more tanks pop up after you kill the first tank. (you thought that was the only one, ha!)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> If fact, I would say that it should be mandatory that you reverse

after exposing your tank. Otherwise plan on losing it...lady luck

will give you plenty of situations where 4 more tanks pop up

after you kill the first tank. (you thought that was the only one,

ha!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This tip comes just one day to late. I lost two M36 and a jumbo trying to get them hull down.

Lessons learned : If you are hunting up a hill, you should give also a reverse command on beforehand. Otherwise your tank may stop hull down, but face a wild bunch of enemy tanks, blazing you to hell on short notice.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rodimzew:

This tip comes just one day to late. I lost two M36 and a jumbo trying to get them hull down.

Lessons learned : If you are hunting up a hill, you should give also a reverse command on beforehand. Otherwise your tank may stop hull down, but face a wild bunch of enemy tanks, blazing you to hell on short notice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have it. My day (and PBEM) was ruined when I had two M4A3 Shermans pounce on the exposed rear of a 250/9 HT. I had carefully given the move order such that my two Sherm's LOS would have a small house between them the position of a known StuG and PanzerIV. I didn't reverse them after they were to "collect" the HT, since I thought the house would block LOS.

Little did I know, it was a "magic" house that becomes invisible from time to time....otherwise the Germans must've had some wild new optics that day in Sep'44. Both of his tanks shot THROUGH the house, KO'ing 2 of my 3 tanks, and that was the turning point of the battle (side note: my [vanilla] Shermans took a total of 3 non-KO side penetrations at 200/300m before the killing blows...maybe the Panzer AP shells were slowed down from busting through the house!!!)

Moral of the story was, if i had follow Armor SOP and reversed...

One of the other pillars of my armor doctrine is to avoid firing twice from the same position. Draws too much lethal (AP) attention.

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

whenever i want a hull down firing position on the first shot, i will place the tank/vehicle behind the crest so it is out of sight. then when a target appears, i check out LOS at view 1 to ensure i will have a target, make sure the tank/vehicle is unbuttoned, and hunt her forward. USUALLY she will stop and take her shot ASAP, but not always. usually works good for me, and usually i will get a good shot. but i will usually always miss just becuase my tanks never hit! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> 5107

posted 10-04-2001 06:05 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Rodimzew:

Lessons learned : If you are hunting up a hill, you should give also a reverse command on beforehand. Otherwise your tank may stop hull down, but face a wild bunch of enemy tanks, blazing you to hell on short notice.

You have it. My day (and PBEM) was ruined when I had two M4A3 Shermans pounce on the exposed rear of a 250/9 HT. I had carefully given the move order such that my two Sherm's LOS would have a small house between them the position of a known StuG and PanzerIV. I didn't reverse them after they were to "collect" the HT, since I thought the house would block LOS.

Little did I know, it was a "magic" house that becomes invisible from time to time....otherwise the Germans must've had some wild new optics that day in Sep'44. Both of his tanks shot THROUGH the house, KO'ing 2 of my 3 tanks, and that was the turning point of the battle (side note: my [vanilla] Shermans took a total of 3 non-KO side penetrations at 200/300m before the killing blows...maybe the Panzer AP shells were slowed down from busting through the house!!!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That game sounds familiar smile.gif

Yeah, whilst it broke the back of the US assault on my right flank it was a sucky bit of luck and if I'm honest I didn't deserve to clobber those tanks the way I did. That game has not had a dull turn since about turn 3 smile.gif

As for this, from my OTHER PBEM opponent:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> USUALLY she will stop and take her shot ASAP, but not always. usually works good for me, and usually i will get a good shot. but i will usually always miss just becuase my tanks never hit! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't suppose that includes drilling my hull-down StuH42 from the front with your Sherman does it? pah.