Senior Officers.

I was wondering does anyone have any good uses for the CO. I used to just leave him as spotter for a group of mortars. Im now beginning to use them in a more active role. Im finding that if I put them as a reserve unit for the role of replacing any killed LT on a front. If I have more than one CC I have them following the main "attack wave" 100+m behind so as to lend their bonuses to any broken unit that is left behind the "wave" or as a replacement, heaven forbid, if an LT cops it they assume the role as Platoon commander.

I have thought about having them act as commander for a group of "Hitmen" of Piats and snipers and using their bonus to creep into a good position and left the team "snipe" away.

Since their bonuses dont apply to guns etc is their any other good uses people have come up for them.

[ April 03, 2002, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Pud ]

The bonuses are actually CRUCIAL for guns. I think that the Combat bonus may indeed be useless, since it doesn't grant the gun any improved accuracy. However, the Morale and Stealth bonuses will make your gun harder to pin/break and harder to spot.

Sometimes I'll substitute the Company HQ for a Pn HQ that has lousy/no bonuses, and have him stay back w/ the 3rd/reserve Pn.

Aside from that, I have him command guns or mortars, and keep him back to race to morale hot-spots, which is one of my fav feelings in CM, "here comes the Captain!"

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

The bonuses are actually CRUCIAL for guns. I think that the Combat bonus may indeed be useless, since it doesn't grant the gun any improved accuracy. However, the Morale and Stealth bonuses will make your gun harder to pin/break and harder to spot.

I'm quite sure the combat bonus improve accuracy for shots that do not target armor.

I imagine it may give a better rate of fire, even for anti-armor shots, anyone ever tried that?

Hey Silvio,

I guess I am writing you on this thread too.

You said:

Sometimes I'll substitute the Company HQ for a Pn HQ that has lousy/no bonuses, and have him stay back w/ the 3rd/reserve Pn.

I don't think that helps as long as the original platoon HQ is still active somewhere on the map. A squad cannot get a bonus from more than one officer at a time, and IIRC, only from its own platoon HQ unless that HQ is eliminated. "T" assets are another story.

Avoiding the long black lines .... Toad

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Hey Silvio,

I guess I am writing you on this thread too.

You said:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Sometimes I'll substitute the Company HQ for a Pn HQ that has lousy/no bonuses, and have him stay back w/ the 3rd/reserve Pn.

I don't think that helps as long as the original platoon HQ is still active somewhere on the map. A squad cannot get a bonus from more than one officer at a time, and IIRC, only from its own platoon HQ unless that HQ is eliminated. "T" assets are another story.

Avoiding the long black lines .... Toad</font>

Do a test. Make a platoon, put the 3 squads in a line with 20m or so between each. Place the Lt between the 1st and 2nd squad. Now place your captain really close to the 3rd squad, closer to the squad than the Lt is. You will see the red c&c line for the 3rd squad goes to the cap.

Lts cannot take over squads from other Pns, but they can command support weps including . Caps can command anything.

Having CO's with good bonuses take over from less competent platoon HQs is a very good strategy. I've had a good double morale, double command, single combat bonus CO take over control of a full company of conscript riflemen and mgs. There "real" leaders were no bonus wonders. With a great commander they actually fought well, standing up to Greenis in a forest fight.

The no bonus wonders were sent forward to scout the terrain. They were the first to take a bullet.