Question about mods

Alright, this might be a horribly stupid question, if so, please accept my apologies in advance...

*apologizes humbly*

If I download and install a mod, will that lead to a cpu-hit? (Will the game become slower).

The reason I'm asking is because I have noticed that my computer (AMD 1800, 256 RAM, GF2) cant really handle "To the Volga". In fact I havent made it past the setup phase due to the horrible lag. And I would not want to do some stupid misstake and make the whole game laggy like that.

There are mods that modify the grass or how the factory's look. If I download and install them, will they take more resources than the "standard" bmps?

I suspect the answer is something like "it depends on the mod" or something witty like that. But could anyone give me any idea as to how much it affects the performance of my comp, and if some mods are more resource demanding than others.

Thanks

Steve

Now that we're on the subject, how does one convert a low-res mod to high-res? I take it perhaps once you've made the mod low-res (which is what the stock CMBB mods are), there is no way to "up" the detail? Perhaps this has something to do with the PPI (pixels per inch) setting in EDIT>IMAGE SIZE?

To the original poster:

CMBO had some really impressive high-res mods. I mean these things would range from 5-10MB per one vehicle mod, it varies depending on the extra content. Right now CMBB mods are the standard res and they are 1-3 MB, usually in-between.

Right now all the mods that have been released are the standard res, so download to your hearts content since you wont suffer any performance change. And from what you're running, I see no reason why you wont be able to run high-res mods when they get released. I'm running the older AMD Tbird 1.4, and all the scenerios run fine execpt for those rediculous ones (like Clash of the Titans) that require a super computer.

Originally posted by Diceman:

I think the bigger worry would be downsampleing due to the large memmory requirements of the mods. Does anyone know the memory requirements for a stock T34? I'd like to compare the number to available mods.

Yeah, I missed the part where you said you had 256mb, that's actually the minimum (that I recommend) for gaming these days. I'm running 512, and like Diceman said, you'll take a performance hit since CM is very ram dependant.