Tank Tactics

I've discovered when playing the Allied side one cannot go up gun for gun against German armor. The Shermans and FireFlies just cant hold their own against the German tanks.

Basically my strategy lately is to use my tanks like a big mobile mechanized sniper. Sneak about, position, and reposition them constantly in order to get a flank shot at the German tanks. And its always best to do this with at least two tanks against one German tank, preferably three if available.

I have found its better to take my time and go slow even if the scenario briefing calls for quick action. Too often I've rushed to try and take out the German armor only to discover that is not very effective, even when I have a 3-1 or better superiority. The last scenario I played I basically played ring-around-the-rosey around a wooded area with a Panther tank with two of my Shermans. As silly as it sounds it worked. My Shermans moved faster than the Panther and were able to hit it in the flanks. It took quite a few shots to make a kill too.

I can see why the American tank crews feared tanks like the Panthers and Tigers. They were a force to be reconed with.

~Skott~

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skott Karlsson:

Basically my strategy lately is to use my tanks like a big mobile mechanized sniper. Sneak about, position, and reposition them constantly in order to get a flank shot at the German tanks. And its always best to do this with at least two tanks against one German tank, preferably three if available.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're doing the right thing as far as allied tactics are concerned. Now, all you to do is experiment with the best weapon for those tactics: the M18

The M18 will give you these advantages:

1. superior speed to get into and out of trouble fast

2. good punching power with a 76mm

3. A very fast turret for quickly engaging threats

4. Costs less than shermans and other tanks.

it has it's drawbacks such as an open top, little armor, and few HE rounds but for the tactics you're using it's the best tool.

You could literally do dohnuts around a Panther or Tiger and they will never be able to get a shot off because their turrets are so slow. The real challenge is getting close enough to do the dohnuts.

I like to have 2 elements of armor. And I use terran whenever possible. If I have one or two shermans (or any allied tank or td) go up a ridge, usually all the german vehicles will turn to face it. I let them fire a shot or two, have them retreat (or stay if the odds are in my favor), then bring up the other element somewhere along the enemies flank. This works especially good when the german armor has a slow turret speed or no turret at all. They spend all the time turning themselves while i fire back and forth.

Pak40, your right on the money smile.gif

I use Pumas like that always- while the allies try to kill my armor, the puma's flank'em-the 5omm cannon can KO a Sherman from med. to far range.

------------------

"Far better it is

To dare mighty things...

Then to take rank with

Those poor, timid spirits

Who know neither

Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Guest Mikey D

Official German doctrine called for massed Tiger units dominating the battlefield. Unfortunately (for the Germans) there were too few operational Tigers covering too wide an area and more often than not a pair of Tigers or just a single vehicle would be sent forward to patch holes in the front. On those few occassion when the large Whittmann-sized Tiger formations appeared there was little the allies could do but wait for artillery, airstrikes, and the safety of nightfall to save their bacon.

I'm finally getting the hang of keeping Shermans alive long enough to do some damage. Best thing I can advise is careful study of the terrain before you ever start 'em up. (wish CM had little flags you could use to precisely mark pre-scouted positions) It's still a dicey proposition, but what a great feeling to kill Panthers and Tigers with the lowly Sherm!

You buy a platoon of M18's and I'll buy 2 37mm flaks for a pittance the price and have them all in a flaming wreck before the turn is out.

smile.gif

I think the British can really get up the Germans unless you are playing an Ubertank fanatic (only has Panthers or above) A tactics I like to use is to target a Panther with 2" mortars in the same turn that your Wolverines move take a hulldown position. The mortars cause the Panther to button up, while your Wolverines (you MUST use a pair) are open. The wolverines must have targeted the Panther before cresting the ridge. The result is that you can get first fire (ie. two shots before the Panther replies. However this strategy is very dependent on the Panther not moving and potentially using smoke to isolate the Panther from other german tanks that could first fire on your Wolverines.

You crest the ridge and BLAMMO! 2 enemy 20mm's open up along with a 37mm and all of a sudden your ideal ambush against the enemy Panther goes to hell.

These tactics make too many assumptions about the enemy.