Sherman III and Sherman V

I just played a QB against the AI, and bought a Sherman III and a Sherman V.

I checked their stats and to my surprise the Sherman V had a lower topspeed than the Sherman III (25mph) even though it weighed less and had more hp.

I don't know much about engines, but I'd imagine that the Sherman V should go faster.

The only explanation I can imagine is that the Sherman V accelerates faster than the Sherman III and that the top speed is limited by something else.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks

and Happy holidays!

PS Does anyone also know whether the bottles on the back of flamethrowers are moddable?

[ December 23, 2004, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: stikkypixie ]

Originally posted by Splinty:

Isn't the III diesel powered and the V gasoline powered? Or is it the other way around? In any case I imagine the gasoline powered engine would produce more speed and the diesel more torque.

Yes, this is it, I believe. The Sherman V used the Chrysler Multi-bank airplane engine; the tank was longer by about 6" to accommodate the engine; the bogie trucks are placed further apart which is the best way to tell this variant from the others.

Well Michael. Google is an instrument not quite reaching the inner depths of your mysterious culture. It will merely elevate confusion to higher levels with it's flickering mirrors into the elusive Anglo Saxon soul.

You see the Ivor Novello I found using Google turned out to not be Ivor Novello but David Davies. A Welshman. With Welshmen not globally known to be warm catholics. Even more Googling educated me insofar that "Thenceforward, Welsh Catholics were a genus represented by a few rare specimens". I offer you a mere section of a text on Welsh history through which I laboured, though it was most impenetrable and resisted my efforts more vehemently than the Anzio bridgehead, written as it was in elderly English more beautiful than the curls of Boedicca. If indeed she had curls.

Unfortunately neither Novello nor Davies is listed among the thankfully few unpronouncable names of families registered as Catholic in Wales (Mostyn of Talacre, Jones of Llanarth, Vaughan of Courtfield) and so your question remains mysterious to me still, buried under untold Cymrian layers of mocking mist.

So I had the affrontage of imagining I would be able to lure an answer of more Teutonic proportions (straight and easily grasped) out of you here instead.

But of course, from a nation where regiments are battallions and the royal army is not Royal, and indeed Highlanders have no highlands in which to gaily dwell, I am long since prepared for the most confusing enigmas, wrapped in the most impenetrable of subtle veils. I shall remain forever ignorant if Mr Novello confessed to the catholic faith or not. And, as religion is a most personal matter to a secular individual like myself, perhaps it is not more than right.

Alas - and it is with some trepidation that I add this, feeling uneasy under the shadow of your recent misfortunes with Mr Emrys, however insignificant and atypical - you forgot the Prefix Michael. Must be a prefix to those ranks, SS or SA. Otherwise, there is no way of knowing if he was a party official or a member of the Waffen SS. That would be most imprecise. And we can't have that now can we.

smile.gif

Ball in you court.

Happy Holidays

Dandelion

Donnerwetter nochmal....the prefix.

Of course!

But, I will have you know, my Highland Regiment is only an hour's drive from the Rocky Mountains, and are properly known to belong to that geographical entity known as "the foothills." Can't imagine a regiment being known as "The Foothillers" however. Sounds more like a soccer team, and don't get me started on fußball or whatever you call it there.

In any event Fröhliche Weinachten and all that jazz.

John D. Salt is the expert on Ivor Novello, I am afraid. Explaining the Canadian regimental system is one thing; explaning English humour is quite another - and it doesn't even involve those verdammte prefixes....

ISTR a Don Novello who used to appear frequently on US tv back around 20 or so years ago (I don't know if he still does). I also recall about that time he was arrested in the Vatican for impersonating a priest. Well, after all, that was his schtick. What he did on tv was to play a character called "Father Guido Panzinni" or something like that. So he was in the Vatican with a film crew shooting a standup in front of St. Peter's when the fuzz showed up and inquired precisely what he thought he was doing. Apparently they were not amused by his explanation, so into custody went the good father. AIR, he was soon released however, with the admonishment not to come back.

I hope you found this interesting.

;)

Michael

From the same authority:

Ivor Novello

Of course, MD may need a light hand on the tiller to correct his way with the very oh-so-slight suggestion that English humour is an Offa's Dyke difference from Welsh humour which I'd humbly suggest was referred to in the offering, "Is Ivor Novello Catholic?"... to which we can imagine the chorus of forlorn, intermittant, rain-drenched bleat of Welsh lamb in the foothills and valleys following foresaid remark.

[ December 26, 2004, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Yeknodathon ]