**MikeyD Camou Honeys & Riveted Turret M3 Stuart**

Rounding out the early hull Stuarts:

- U.S. M3 Stuart with early riveted turret

- Brit Stuart MkI/II (Traditional Camou colors), North Africa

- Brit Stuart MkI/II (Brit Army Camou colors), North Africa

At our favorite site of course:

www.cmmods.com

The U.S. M3 Stuart mod is new.

Its got a nice new riveted turret (not used on any other mod). It took some doing to properly ‘de-Britishize’ the hull by turning those standard Brit bins into random U.S. stowage items.

The new camou Stuarts are based on my original stone color Stuart I mod. I’ve supplied two versions. One is in ‘traditional’ coloring as seen in CMAK - stone/light blue/dark blue. I also did a version recolored to match more recent thinking. It uses ‘standard’ British army coloring of stone/No.28 grey/U.S. olive drab (The factory color).

I don’t consider these Brit camou mods an ‘improvement’ over my plain stone Stuart I, which I’m still rather fond of. They’re just alternatives. Pick whichever you prefer.

Screenshots:

U.S. M3 Stuart

Stuart I 'Traditional' camou coloring

Stuart I Brit Army standard camou coloring

[ March 13, 2006, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Has anyone else run across the N Africa color palette debate? I've only skirted the edges, seen an illustration or two with the 'new' coloring (my Camou B coloring), but I'm not entirely sure what the controversy is based on.

If I were to guess, the two blue shades have come down to us as 'recieved wisdom' from 30-40 years ago, either from something Crow & Icks wrote or an old Matchbox kit boxtop. And people are finally starting to look at the issue with a fresh perspective. This stone & blue color pattern may go back to the time when they also thought Shermans paint scheme should be black & stone, instead of the now fashionable green & stone.

Either that or the people advocating the new scheme simply haven't seen some old Brit Army directive on camou from 1941 the the earlier research had been aware of.

stuar1.gif

MikeyD,

The links aren't working for me.

The single best NA camouflage book I've ever seen was George Bradford's--as in --- <a href="http://http://www.afvnews.ca" target="_blank">www.afvnews.ca --</a> ARMOUR CAMOUFLAGE AND MARKINGS: NORTH AFRICA, which I remember as being simply phenomenal. If you can find the right back issues of AFV-G2 magazine, you'll find some examples of several desert camouflage patterns, to include color chips.

Meanwhile, does this help?

http://www.afvnews.ca/camouflage/brnafr.html

Regards,

John Kettler