Casualties/Turn Counter?

Errr.....I may have missed something here .... but assuming you are doing this checking in your ‘movie view’ turn, before hitting ‘done’, why don't you simply do one of the following (all of which are SOP, I imagine):

a) Move the camera to each location where the fighting is and watch the movie in close up. If you need to, select each unit involved in the fighting and look to see if it has taken any casualties during the turn (go to start, watch the movie all the way through at single speed, or jump forwards in 10s intervals).

B) use +/- keys to cycle through each unit, check the beginning and end of the movie and note the casualties.

The casualty figures ARE updated ‘in real time’ in the movie: e.g. if a sniper hits a squad member, you’ll see the number change from e.g. 7/0 to 6/1. Same if it hits a tank commander. Same if the squad gets hit by a flamethrower or effing great HE shell – although the numbers will change!

There’s no easy way to find out which unit is getting shot at other than checking each unit and maintaining some overall understanding of the battlespace (listen to me sound like an expert: “battlespace”, indeed!).

The movie sequence is not just ‘eye candy’ it’s there to show you what’s happening on the battlefield.

Oh, and keep an ear out - the stereo effect does help -I was impressed to see (or hear, rather) that sound effects are localised on the map, so if you hear a sniper shot fropm your left, then it will have been made from the left of the spot you are currently viewing/centred on.

Hope that helps

Yes I do all those things, but in a large battle it can get quite tedious to do that for every area of the map.

Remember, each turn is supposed to be 1 minute long, so I don't like to spend tons of time on each turn. I also like to simulate the problems the top level commander would have on the battlefield.

In a small engagement (a reinforced platoon) I will watch closely what each man sees during the replay, in a larger engagement (company sized + some vehicles) I will watch each platoon and vehicle, but not individual squads and in a huge engagement (battalions) I will watch individual companies and sometimes individual platoons if they are tasked with a difficult objective.

I will also simulate the chain of command while plotting my moves. In a small engagement I will determine what I want each squad to do, in a larger engagement I will determine what I want each platoon to do first and then figure out how to deploy each squad based on those objectives and in a huge scenario I will determine what I want each Company to do, then each platoon, then each squad.

And while I notice beat up squads when I am giving them orders, in a huge scenario I can't remember if those casualties happened this turn or not.

So I would like a casualty counter for the larger scenarios so I would know to "drill down" the chain of command while watching a replay.

[ November 28, 2006, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Rocket-Man ]

Originally posted by Rocket-Man:

I also like to simulate the problems the top level commander would have on the battlefield.

I guess not having a running casualty count and detailed squad-level feedback on enemy engagements in an easy-to-digest, ready-to-hand, not-over-time-consuming format is one of the problems a top level commander might have, eh?

Anyway, there are ways to get what you want, just not the way you want to get it, I guess.

Originally posted by ramagel:

I guess not having a running casualty count and detailed squad-level feedback on enemy engagements in an easy-to-digest, ready-to-hand, not-over-time-consuming format is one of the problems a top level commander might have, eh?

Sarcasm aside, a commander in the field has numerous data sources we do not have in the game world (calls for Medic!!!, runners, etc.).