Does Hiding help a tiring squad rest up faster?

Nah.

Somewhere in the book on CMBB tactics it says that troops that are hidden will rest up faster than troops that aren’t.

I did a test.

I took a 4 squad German ’41 platoon of veteran and a platoon of regular infantry and had them run for 200 meters on flat open dessert terrain.

At the end of the run I had two out of 4 squads (squads 3 & 4) in each platoon Hide.

There was no combat.

There was no leadership bonus for either platoon.

-I tried pasting a table here but it didn't work so well so here are some observations:

1-Vet’s start running approx. 6 sec faster than Reg's

2-All squads are Tiring after 37 sec’s

3-Vets at a run travel approx. 23 meters further than Reg’s, before Tiring (173 mteres to 140 meters)

4-Vet’s avg 90 sec’s to go from Tiring to Ready

5-Reg’s avg 93 sec’s to go from Tiring to Ready

6-Vet’s avg 154 sec’s to go from Ready to Rested

7-Reg’s avg 158 sec’s to go from Ready to Rested

Hiding after a run does not make a “Tiring” squad recoup any faster.

[ May 04, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Ted ]

Hiding after a run does not make a “Tiring” squad recoup any faster.
I'm not sure why it would after a mere foot race.

However, a hiding unit on the battlefield will avoid engaging in combat, and will be less likely to come under fire. Chances are that it will recover faster than a unit that is tired and shooting.

Originally posted by Pyewacket:

Astonishing that Vet's are in a better physical condition than Reg's!!

I've often wondered about this too.

I don't think we needed this rather unrealistic feature on top of all the other (justified) disadvantages of troop inexperience.

Originally posted by Ted:

Nah.

Somewhere in the book on CMBB tactics it says that troops that are hidden will rest up faster than troops that aren’t.

If they are under fire the situation changes : "hiding" often prevents them from "sneaking" if there is any decent cover.

So the tip is nt so bad.

Originally posted by Pyewacket:

Astonishing that Vet's are in a better physical condition than Reg's!!

Thanks for the test.

Veteran doesn't mean worn out. Veterans would be more used to running under real combat stress, which the less experienced Regulars are not used to.

Combat stress adds to fatigue in a way that very few Regulars in CM's time frame would be exposed to during training (If any of them), not to mentioned they are much more likely to be better acclimatized to their particular environment than Regulars.

Gyrene