Equipment of the 29th RTR in Normandy

The 29th AB was the AB of 11th Armoured Division under General 'Pip' Roberts, allegedly the most competent armour commander of the British Army in ww2.

29TH ARMOURED BRIGADE

Brigade HQ

23RD Hussars

3RD Royal Tank Regiment

2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry

All Shermans, on the ratio of 1 Firefly per troop in the squadrons. Not sure what the British did for CS work in Sherman squadrons.

The Reconnaissance Regiment was 2nd Northants Yeo, who were equipped with Cromwells and Challengers. Since they were a divisional unit, they were not with 29th AB.

Originally posted by Andreas:

BTW - 2nd Northants Yeo is the only regiment for which I have been able to find evidence that they used Challengers. Rumour has it that the Reconnaissance Regiment of Guards Armoured had them, but I don't think that could be verified.

Thanks for the info.

I'm doing a scenario for CMAK on Operation Goodwood and I needed the type of tanks that the 29th Armored Brigade was equipped with. As long as it was Shermans or Churchills I'm good to go.

There was some very intese fighting on their front. At one time on the first day so many tanks were being hit that they thought the brigade was going to be wiped out. :(

Thanks again.

Panther Commander

It seems all British armoured divisions in Normandy but the 7th had Shermans in their armoured brigades and Cromwells in the armoured reconaissance regiments. The 7th had Cromwells instead of Shermans and the Churchills went to some independent armoured brigades (6th Guards, 31st and 34th Army) and the 79th Armoured Division (Crocodiles and AVRES.

[ January 22, 2004, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Fernando ]

There was some very intese fighting on their front. At one time on the first day so many tanks were being hit that they thought the brigade was going to be wiped out
Well i remember in Normandy there was a section of advance where they lost 400 tanks to get about 7 miles.Just full of AT and SP gun ambushes,AT teams, everything.Now thats a lot of armour wasted.Can't remember the exact details but i know there was a good lot of urban fighting (which we all know is not ideal for tanks).

Originally posted by Little Pete:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />There was some very intese fighting on their front. At one time on the first day so many tanks were being hit that they thought the brigade was going to be wiped out

Well i remember in Normandy there was a section of advance where they lost 400 tanks to get about 7 miles.Just full of AT and SP gun ambushes,AT teams, everything.Now thats a lot of armour wasted.Can't remember the exact details but i know there was a good lot of urban fighting (which we all know is not ideal for tanks). </font>