bmp/mod help

When you draw LOS from a unit to the area in question does it say "open ground"? That would be my guess.... the open ground tiles are 1550-1569, 1570-1589 {the stock macintosh install does not include 1570-1589 btw}

*if you send me that particular scenario (address in my profile) I could assist more.

[ October 29, 2006, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: _UXcva ]

It's definitely open ground and definitely not in the BMPs above--I've replaced both those sets. But now that you mentioned it, I think it might be 1850.

Thanks for the offer UXcva. It's a custom map I'm working on. I'll do a search at CMMODs for that BMP and if I find something better I'll post a link here.

Oh oh! I think I know what's going on.

You're looking at standard grass green ground cover BUT you're looking at it early in the war. BFC somehow shifted the hue of the game's only set of grass bmps, depending on date. N.A. is VERY bown/pink. Italy 1943 is yellowish, and by 1945 we've got Northern Europe green. But its all the same bmp art.

If you want grass green under your feet you're going to have to stick with later war.

A further clarification (after some experimenting).

In Italy there are two grass bmp groups.

One is Early War Open Ground (bmps 1570 to 1589) These provide the open ground textures July 1943 to December 1943. During the winter months Jan, Feb, Dec 1944 and Jan, Feb 1945 these same bmps are given a slight green cast for non-snow conditions.

The second group is Late War Open Ground (bmps 1550 to 1569). these provide the open ground textures March to November 1944 and March, April 1945.

For Italy I use Gurra's Dry Open Ground for early war (Although I think OSF's Open Ground from CMBB would be good too, would need to be renumbered to 1570-1589) and Gurra's Earthy Open Ground for Late war Italy.

Looks like this:

Sicily/Southern Italy -

dryopendn5.th.jpg

Central/North Italy -

earthyopense4.th.jpg

Winter No Snow (Jan,Feb,Dec.1944 & Jan. Feb. 45)-

winternosnowju7.th.jpg

For ETO I now use OSF's renumbered to 1570-1589 and Ed's CMBO Grass. For CM Normandy I use Vossie's open ground.

DavidI

Those look incredible. When I get home from work tonight I will start experimenting with those mods and hopefully get it figured out. I guess the early war .bmp is supposed to emulate Sicilian terrain, later war mid to northern Italy...but there really isn't that much of a difference except from season to season. And even then it's more yellow than salmon...

Oh, I see (or maybe I knew once but I forgot all about it). CMBB's winter bare ground BMP numbers are the same as CMAK's early war grassy numbers?

Ohhhh - Something new for me to look over and experiment with... if i haven't already. I've done waaaaay to many mods to keep track of what I've done ;)

I experimented last night too. I see why I was confused. I'm on a mac, and like UXCva above says 'Early War Open Ground' (bmps 1570 to 1589) are not on mac disks. BUT if I load the art myself they'll appear in-game... still color-shifted, though. I'm not sure how my old CMBB "mottled winter dry ground" mod will look color-shifted in CMAK. Quite possibly not good. :(

I heard rumors mac users got stiffed on Australian voices too. I guess mac file compression was less efficient than PC so a couple things had to be left off the disk.

I played with the 1570-1589 BMPs for CMAK last night. Significantly color-shifted my old CMBB ground art mod so it'll now appear green(ish) instead of the game's yellow/salmon hue in CMAK. I've still got some testing to do, don't know if its ever going to be fit for posting.

Is there a market out there for a 'green(ish)' tint early war grass mod? :confused: ;)

• 2 months later...

I am not sure if you completed this greenish tint early war grass mod, but if you have I would love to use it.

I am making a few scenarios for 41 but need to be in a green terrain. All Combined. For a fantasy campaign.

please let me know if youever completed these.

If you don't like the open ground tiles (1570-1589), just take a set of grass bitmaps you like (1550-1569), renumber them to 1570-1589 and copy them to your bmp directory.

Also, check out the high contrast open ground files done by Green as Jade, or the Topo Gridded versions of Green as Jades high contrast mods I did over at cmmods.