IF YOU DONT LIKE MODS.....

"i dld the soldiers demo, so so

what did you think tooz?"--junk2drive

Underwhelming. I like the fully explodable terrain, but why on earth did they give you just one tank--which runs out of gas by turn three to control? However, they do say that this demo is from a game that is only 80% complete. I like the "rocking" AFVs (rock after they shoot), and the graphics, but right now I'll wait before sending in a pre-order. A ground-level camera angle would be nice.

A better demo is from "Codename Panzers". Almost a "Soldiers" clone, but the demo has a lot more action. Also, you play a 1939 scenario vs the Poles! Finally! A different theater! Man I am getting burnt out from playing the Russian Front,or Western Front with Americans, Brits, and Commonwealth. Again, the graphics are really good--something I pray that BFC will emulate with CMX2. Then there's always "Wartime Command"...

Hey! Wait a minute! Shouldn't we be praising Aristoteles on this thread? Better switch to another thread here or we get locked down!

redface.gif

Originally posted by tooz:

[QB]

Well, I am wondering then, why does CMBO have a complete set of AFVs modded in winter white?

It is only a game. Near the end of 1944, the paint supply situation was critical, and many German vehicles were overall dark yellow. During the Ardennes offensive in december 1944, many German vehicles did not use the white camouflage paste, even though fair amounts of this were available. The elite units, mainly SS and Tiger II detachments employed sprayed camouflage schemes, often with very similar styles and patterns of application , these were probably the result of unit orders to achieve "standard" camouflage schemes. A number of german vehicles did employ snow camouflage, but this was not nearly universal. Snow camoulage was widely used on the Russian front, however. The end of winter in early 1945 brought the final offensive drives into Germany from the Rhine river on the west and Russia in the east. By this time, shortages of all materials were so critical that almost all new vehicles left the factories in the base color dark yellow and never received any further treatment other than covering with foliage. Pat

Okay, so why do you think these tanks at Aberdeen are white--or white and brown as mentioned above? Anyone know if this paint was applied after the war?

Regardless, I have to confess that I love the look of white AFVs in snow. However, Wicky, I believe, came up with the perfect compromise--snow dusted tanks that still have their original color schemes discerned under the snow. If not winter white paint, anyone working on snow dusting the German AFVs?

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by tooz:

Okay, so why do you think these tanks at Aberdeen are white--or white and brown as mentioned above? Anyone know if this paint was applied after the war?

Regardless, I have to confess that I love the look of white AFVs in snow. However, Wicky, I believe, came up with the perfect compromise--snow dusted tanks that still have their original color schemes discerned under the snow. If not winter white paint, anyone working on snow dusting the German AFVs?

The paintjobs on the tanks at Aberdeen, at least the 7-8 times I went there are NOT historically accurate, I was told by one of the folks working the museum that they were painted with whatever paint was available. Indeed, I have some pics from trips there that have some pretty funny paint jobs in evidence. Perhaps, and hopefully, that has changed, but my visits to Aberdeen were somewhat dissappointing, they have let most of their collection go to hell. Its definitely not Bovington .......

Getting this on topic again, I only have a few of your mods Aristoteles, mostly your later work, which is definitly improving a lot! Keep up the good work. But I'll always prefer a tank with exta markings and equipment (weathered or not) over a plain jane weathered one.

MikeyD or Heinzbaby mods are the stuff I prefer. But that Grille you did was very good.

"The paintjobs on the tanks at Aberdeen... are NOT historically accurate"

I recall awhile back on the CMBB board someone was modding a late pzIV based on old color Aberdeen photos from back around 1946-47. After inspecting the shots someone noticed the camou job extended over both the wheels AND tracks! Even 58 years ago an Aberdeen vehicle paint job couldn't be trusted!