American opponents in North Africa

The Americans and British landed in western Nort Africa in November 1942. At that time they fought the Vichy French, but not, it appears, the Germans or Italians. Yet the Americans appear in the game as a valid Allied force in November 1942, and the Vichy French do not.

What's the catch here?

And when did the Americans and British get into contact for the first time with the Germans or Italians in the western part of the North African region?

I'd appreciate a link to a site that can give me an overview of the history of that theatre. I'd like to present the Americans properly in this theatre - it is after all the first time they appear in ROQC ;)

On a related note: Which of the commonwealth nationalities took part in this theatre?

Thanks.

[ February 17, 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]

Yup, An Army At Dawn will tell you everything you need to know, and keep you entertained at the same time.

I can tell you one Commonwealth country that didn't have forces in Tunisia, that was Canada, however, many individuals transferred from First Canadian Army in England to the British 8th and 1st Armies in North Africa, in order to gain battle experience. They did six month tours of duty, after which the survivors were returned to the Canadians. Strome Galloway was one of them, he wrote (among others) Bravely Into Battle which talks about the fighting in Tunisia; he was with an Irish regiment at that time, and returned to the Royal Canadian Regiment in time for Sicily. He fought in Italy also, as a company commander and a couple of stints as acting Commanding Officer of the battalion.

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

The Americans and British landed in western Nort Africa in November 1942. At that time they fought the Vichy French, but not, it appears, the Germans or Italians. Yet the Americans appear in the game as a valid Allied force in November 1942, and the Vichy French do not.

What's the catch here?

I believe the Vichy French never actually fought against the Allies... I'm sure the links will give the details - let me know if I'm wrong!

Originally posted by WWB:

IIRC, there were a few skirmishes between US & German forces in the last days of November 42.

Raff Force (later, renamed the Tunisian Task Force) first ran into German Paratroopers around Gafsa on 15 November.

The general Anglo-American advance into Tunisia began around 17 November, with Combat Command "B" of the 1st Armored Division moving up to reinforce the British 1st Army's three-pronged attack.

American forces saw action at Djedeida on 25 November when Stuarts from the 1st Armored Regiment shot up the airfield there before withdrawing.

Then again, on 28 November, a general attack on Djedeida by British infantry was supported by American artillery and Grant tanks.

Originally posted by Ansbach:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

What's the catch here?

I believe the Vichy French never actually fought against the Allies... I'm sure the links will give the details - let me know if I'm wrong! </font>

Recommend

"Strike Swiftly!"

The 70th Tank Battalion From North Africa to Germany

isbn 0-89141-610-2

Anyway November 9th a TANK battle stemming French drive from Rabat. Mg's , TAG's and Renaults against Stuarts. Fighting again on 10th around Port Lyautey and airport.

Fought Afrika Korps for the first time Dec 29th assisting French Infantry north of Pichon. Got beaten up by 200 infantry 4 ATG and mortar battery. Three days later working with British troops with 6pounders against AK.

They note most aircraft at the time were German!