A Bridge Too Far is on now AMC (Time Warner) 5:37 p.m.PDT

XXX Corps has just jumped off, and Frost's force is in complete disarray, with special jeeps missing and no radios that work. Even if you don't like the movie, the concentration of period armor and equipment is simply stunning (real Fireflies, Dingos, PIATs, 5 cm Gw 36, MG-34s on air defense mounts, etc.).

Happy grogfest!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ April 02, 2006, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

I was watching it the other day and noticed something. Near the end of the movie when you watch the supply drop and the one guy goes for a drop and gets sniped. There is a part when a plane is "shot down" and you see an explosion, well if you pause it and look carefully you can see the planes wing tip to the left of the explosion but just barley. Just thought I should point that out. Good movie btw.

You've got to be old enough to be able to place that movie in context. It would've been a great film if it had been made in 1963. But it was made in 1977. Compared to the other war films being made around it (Kelly Heros, Apocalypse Now, Johnny Got His Gun, The Deer Hunter, MASH, etc, etc) A Bridge Too Far feels like a creaky old studio clunker. I had the misfortune of having read the book shortly before seeing the film and I remember cringing in my seat every time they made a good scene in the book into a bad movie scene. Just the memory of the scene near the end with the soldier weeping while holding a bent flute STILL make me cringe 29 years later! :mad: :rolleyes:

kawaiku,

Based on several other old war movies (some made during WW II) I've seen recently, Hollywood would've been screwed without trees and/or hills for planes to "crash" behind. Guess it was inevitable that we'd eventually catch one in which the pullout was visible. These days, though, they can intercut CGI for the, er, terminal phase. Bet the stunt pilots aren't too happy, though.

Regards,

John Kettler

John Kettler Said

Even if you don't like the movie, the concentration of period armor and equipment is simply stunning
Thought you might find it interesting that they actually only ever had four working Shermans during filming plus a couple of tank hulks. If you look closely you'll see that same damn Firefly again and again. (info from the film's set dresser and one of the military advisors - both friends of the family, reunited a few years ago at a luncheon where they reminisced and discuss the awful luck that plague the shoot - lots of accidents and mishaps away from the set.

cassh,

Four? Four?! Four?!! Astounding! Wasn't this before we had digital cloning? So, all the others were nonrunners? Could've sworn I saw dozens of tanks.

Forgot to mention the Daimlers, the White scout cars, M2/3 halftracks, real? Pak 40s and the terrific PIAT close up during the German ambush. Any idea what kind of plane was used to play presumptive Typhoons? Thanks to the movie, I now have a much better sense of crew exposure in Universal Carriers, too. Somewhere around here I have the special magazine length color pub on the film.

Got so intrigued after all that movie viewing that I dug out my copy of A BRIDGE TOO FAR and am rereading it for the first time in decades.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi

Ref the four Sherman 'runners' that is indeed correct. The other mobile Shermans were made up from fibre-glass mounted on jeep/carriers (bit like some of kit in SPR)and DVD commentary mentions that some of false tracks did not actually touch the ground (kept out of shot). The Panther was mocked up on a Dutch army Leopard I.

All looked impressive on screen though especially to a 13yr old back in the day :)

Cheers