M3 Grant

Originally posted by Poppy:

HEllo Bo Radley and junk2drive ,the old movies ,1940-48 or so are the best if your interested in the equipment that was used in that era. Think of "Patton" with 1942-43 equipment. poppy

Hi Poppy,

I remember when I first saw this film (maybe 15 years ago), it instantly reminded me of an old DC comic I had read when I was a kid. It was the exact same story line with just a few alterations. Instead of a mortar shell opening the well, it was a Stuka that had been shot down by the tank. No one had left to try to find help and there had been no British soldiers, I believe. Just the tank crew had held off the enemy. (Of course, we brave 'Mericans never need any help! :D )

Wish I still had that comic.

There was a remake of that, came out in '98, I think.

Truly horrendous. The Germans were comic-book bad guys, shooting people for failure, attacking human-wave style over open ground etc. I'd expect it from a wartime film, but the original (1943) was actually more balanced in its portrayal of the enemy.

In both, the 'German' halftracks looked suspiciously like M3s. At least in the more modern one they had an MG42 lookalike rather than a .30 Browning, but in all other respects, the original is far and away better.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

There was a remake of that, came out in '98, I think.

Truly horrendous. The Germans were comic-book bad guys, shooting people for failure, attacking human-wave style over open ground etc. I'd expect it from a wartime film, but the original (1943) was actually more balanced in its portrayal of the enemy.

In both, the 'German' halftracks looked suspiciously like M3s. At least in the more modern one they had an MG42 lookalike rather than a .30 Browning, but in all other respects, the original is far and away better.

Speaking of the halftrack, I like the line Bogey speaks when they first see it coming over the hill, "Looks like a German command car."

I always wanted to say back, "No it doesn't. What the hell's wrong with you?" Then give him two or three dope slaps. :D