Recording SMOOTH action footage

Currently, I'm interested in recording CMAK action footage to make a short video clip. The program that I'm using is FRAPS 2.0 full version. However, when I try to record, the game goes TERRIBLY slow and when I replay the video, it shows. Do any of you guys havea any suggestions? I've pretty much toned down all the settings already for the recording....the choppiness ruins the atmosphere.

Currently, I'm interested in recording CMAK action footage to make a short video clip. The program that I'm using is FRAPS 2.0 full version. However, when I try to record, the game goes TERRIBLY slow and when I replay the video, it shows. Do any of you guys havea any suggestions? I've pretty much toned down all the settings already for the recording....the choppiness ruins the atmosphere.

This will probably cut down on what you'd like to capture, but have you reduced the resolution that CM runs at ? You may want to try 800x600 to see if this helps things. The "half size" recommendation earlier would probably be a similar suggestion, but actually setting the resolution lower may involve a little less CPU processing (scaling the image lower before recording it) or possibly combining them for an even smaller image, but something that may show a better framerate.

If you have enough memory, you could create a RAM Disk and record to that. However it will limit your recording length and most people don't have that much extra memory installed in their system.

Here's some of the 'minimum' specs listed on the FRAPS site:

FRAPS will impact the performance of your machine when capturing full-screen movies. It shouldn't be a problem for most serious gamers who have a decent rig. But I'd thought I'd mention it anyway. The minimum specs are:

* Requires Windows 2000 or Windows XP

* Requires a Pentium 3, Pentium 4, or Athlon XP (SSE instructions are required).

* Works best with an Nvidia Geforce 2/3/4/FX, or an ATI Radeon 9xxx graphics card.

* Works best with a high quality motherboard chipsets such as Intel or nForce 2.

For "optimal" operation I would recommend a 1.8GHz processor or above with a high-quality motherboard chipset, a 7200 RPM hard disk drive and a decent Nvidia or ATI graphics card.

Please note that FRAPS wouldn't have even been possible a couple of years ago. Just the sheer amount of data that needs to be sucked from the graphics card, compressed and pushed out to disk is frightening. So if you think that the registered version will make the downloadable demo run faster - think again. You'll need to upgrade.

This will probably cut down on what you'd like to capture, but have you reduced the resolution that CM runs at ? You may want to try 800x600 to see if this helps things. The "half size" recommendation earlier would probably be a similar suggestion, but actually setting the resolution lower may involve a little less CPU processing (scaling the image lower before recording it) or possibly combining them for an even smaller image, but something that may show a better framerate.

If you have enough memory, you could create a RAM Disk and record to that. However it will limit your recording length and most people don't have that much extra memory installed in their system.

Here's some of the 'minimum' specs listed on the FRAPS site:

FRAPS will impact the performance of your machine when capturing full-screen movies. It shouldn't be a problem for most serious gamers who have a decent rig. But I'd thought I'd mention it anyway. The minimum specs are:

* Requires Windows 2000 or Windows XP

* Requires a Pentium 3, Pentium 4, or Athlon XP (SSE instructions are required).

* Works best with an Nvidia Geforce 2/3/4/FX, or an ATI Radeon 9xxx graphics card.

* Works best with a high quality motherboard chipsets such as Intel or nForce 2.

For "optimal" operation I would recommend a 1.8GHz processor or above with a high-quality motherboard chipset, a 7200 RPM hard disk drive and a decent Nvidia or ATI graphics card.

Please note that FRAPS wouldn't have even been possible a couple of years ago. Just the sheer amount of data that needs to be sucked from the graphics card, compressed and pushed out to disk is frightening. So if you think that the registered version will make the downloadable demo run faster - think again. You'll need to upgrade.

I have another recommendation that really helped in getting quality films in il2. You should set your in game resolution to 640x480. Then when you record in Fraps you should get a smoother film. Don't worry about how it looks because hwen you play it back it'll look very crisp.

Also grab a program like VirtualDub and do some preproduction work on your raw footage to sharpen it up, adjust color and other plug ins mods before your begin combining the footage intoa film.

Los

I have another recommendation that really helped in getting quality films in il2. You should set your in game resolution to 640x480. Then when you record in Fraps you should get a smoother film. Don't worry about how it looks because hwen you play it back it'll look very crisp.

Also grab a program like VirtualDub and do some preproduction work on your raw footage to sharpen it up, adjust color and other plug ins mods before your begin combining the footage intoa film.

Los

My specs are:

Athlon XP 2400+

512 RAM

ATI Radeon 9700 PRO

Western Digital Caviar 80GB + 8mb Cache

WinXP + SP1

Also have TMPGenc Plus 2.521 and VirtualDub

I tried scaling CMAK back down to 800x600 and recording at half size@20FPS. The game running speed was also about 20fps so seems ok at playback. Sorta blurry, so I'm trying to use TMPGenc to clean it up. Also drops down to 15fps if I turn on 6xFSAA. With no FSAA and @ 1024x768 FPS drops to about 12 and on 1280x1024 goes down to 8fps.

How do I create a ramdisk? I've already defraged my HD, although I was considering getting a sceond one anyway.

My specs are:

Athlon XP 2400+

512 RAM

ATI Radeon 9700 PRO

Western Digital Caviar 80GB + 8mb Cache

WinXP + SP1

Also have TMPGenc Plus 2.521 and VirtualDub

I tried scaling CMAK back down to 800x600 and recording at half size@20FPS. The game running speed was also about 20fps so seems ok at playback. Sorta blurry, so I'm trying to use TMPGenc to clean it up. Also drops down to 15fps if I turn on 6xFSAA. With no FSAA and @ 1024x768 FPS drops to about 12 and on 1280x1024 goes down to 8fps.

How do I create a ramdisk? I've already defraged my HD, although I was considering getting a sceond one anyway.