Do you really want to hurt me?

Tankist

I've noticed a strange behavior in a scenario I played recently.

I (axis player) had around a company of Pz III J (50 L60). I gave the orders to engage some Stuarts and Cruiser Tanks at 400-700 meters.

Then, a Grant came into view, and all PZ III in sight (regulars and vets alike) run for cover like crazy! Not that the Grant targeted them or that they had no chance to kill him (he presented his flank to my front).

Even 2 Marders (who have the guns to kill a Grant frontally) reversed in the funniest angles, getting killed by some Stuarts, which were not longer engaged by the PZ III (which run like hell).

This is one aspect, that seems highly unrealistic to me.

If a single Grant can make the whole Wehrmacht retreat, and if every tank runs like a rabbit when he sees a possible threat somewhere, then Germany would not have won a single battle (think of the battle for France and the Matildas and Char B1 bis), and Shermans would have never ever closed with Panthers and Tigers (what they did...numbers killed the beasts).

I have a lot of literature about ww2, but this behavior, for a regular army unit, seems highly unusual; else, all the allies had to do, would be to show a Grant to the Germans, and gone they are...

This "cowardness" routine should be redone in my opinion.

Tankist

This subject caused fits over on the CMBB board for awhile, expressed as 'Russian tanker cowardice' by some. Basically, it takes a LOT to convincing to keep a tanker fighting a fight he can't win. By itself, that's not so bad, but what made the 'tank retreat' maneuver more problematic was the tendency of the cowardly tank to turn broadside to the threat during the movement! The AI may have a good idea about getting the vehicle out of harm's way but sometimes its execution of the plan is downright disasterous. This was at its worst in CMBB one or two versions before the final patch. It still happens in CMAK but not quite so often.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

This subject caused fits over on the CMBB board for awhile, expressed as 'Russian tanker cowardice' by some. Basically, it takes a LOT to convincing to keep a tanker fighting a fight he can't win. By itself, that's not so bad, but what made the 'tank retreat' maneuver more problematic was the tendency of the cowardly tank to turn broadside to the threat during the movement! The AI may have a good idea about getting the vehicle out of harm's way but sometimes its execution of the plan is downright disasterous. This was at its worst in CMBB one or two versions before the final patch. It still happens in CMAK but not quite so often.

Well, in thase case it was a fight he COULD win (and btw, not even every german tanker has all the mm armor vs. penetration strengths in mind, to decide on a math basic computation to RUN like a rabbit...)

Tankist

Just learn how to use them properly.Do you honestly think that you can not get lots of en mass t-34's to charge and attack tigers/stugs/whatever?I do not have CMAK,but I doubt that there is any real difference.

Don't get me wrong though,I would like to see the cower routine gone as well,but for a different reason.I am sick of it protecting bad players.

"Uh oh,I done a bad thing again,George.I have my t-34 turned broad side to three of my opponents ATG's!!I guess all is lost....But wait,gee,thanks TacAI for not only saving my ass(again)by reversing my t-34 out of danger,but it is now also in perfect position to area fire near the ATG's and KO all of them!"

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by no_one:

"Uh oh,I done a bad thing again,George.I have my t-34 turned broad side to three of my opponents ATG's!!I guess all is lost....But wait,gee,thanks TacAI for not only saving my ass(again)by reversing my t-34 out of danger,but it is now also in perfect position to area fire near the ATG's and KO all of them!"

BWAAAHAHHAAA!!! tongue.gif :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by no_one:

BWAAAHAHHAAA!!! tongue.gif :mad: :mad: :mad: </font>