Needing Information on the Heavy SS Tank Battalion 102

During the battle of the Falaise Pocket, the Heavy SS Tank Battalion 102, had all of it's Tiger tanks knocked out. They then fought on as infantry and tank assault teams.

I need to know where in the line they fought.

There were several SS units in the pocket and I would like to know which one they were assigned to. I know that the Falaise Pocket was a mixed up mess as far as unit assignments go but any information would be appreciated.

Panther Commander

They weren't with an SS unit, they were with Heer infantry at this time. Specifically the 271st infantry division. Here is an abbreviated report, the stuff I found quickly -

July, with II SS Pz Krps. With 10SS, in place of missing Panther battalion. 2 August, transfered to 9SS. But then 9 August, sent to area north of Falaise. 11 August, reports 7 Tigers still running, and is subordinate to the 271st Infantry division.

Fought successive actions at Espins, Martainville, Falaise and Necy until 18 August. (Since it fought at Falaise itself, it obviously faced the Canadians, since they are the ones who took it). Last damaged tanks deliberately destroyed August 24 during retreat to the Seine.

A reference for its move to the 271st ID is -

PzAOK 5 Ia Nr. 899/44 g.Kdos, 12.8.44, Nachtrag zur Tagesmeldung 11.8, T313, R420, F8714187

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Alsatian:

Here are the daily situation maps from the 12th Army Group, D-Day through Falaise Gap. Hosted by Library of Congress. Shows daily position of 271st I.D. as far as allied intelligence thought.

Just browse through til you find the date you want.

Great maps but they don't allow you to zoom in and get any details.

I will spend more time on the site and maybe figure out a way to get clearer identification of units and details from the maps.

Thanks for the help.

Panther Commander

Originally posted by JasonC:

They weren't with an SS unit, they were with Heer infantry at this time. Specifically the 271st infantry division. Here is an abbreviated report, the stuff I found quickly -

July, with II SS Pz Krps. With 10SS, in place of missing Panther battalion. 2 August, transfered to 9SS. But then 9 August, sent to area north of Falaise. 11 August, reports 7 Tigers still running, and is subordinate to the 271st Infantry division.

Fought successive actions at Espins, Martainville, Falaise and Necy until 18 August. (Since it fought at Falaise itself, it obviously faced the Canadians, since they are the ones who took it). Last damaged tanks deliberately destroyed August 24 during retreat to the Seine.

A reference for its move to the 271st ID is -

PzAOK 5 Ia Nr. 899/44 g.Kdos, 12.8.44, Nachtrag zur Tagesmeldung 11.8, T313, R420, F8714187

I hope this helps.

Yes this helps tremendously. Thanks for the assist.

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JasonC:

They weren't with an SS unit, they were with Heer infantry at this time.

http://www.wssob.com/102abtssp.html

This link says they were....

As I pointed out in my email, Steve, I think that Steel Inferno might have some info on them? </font>

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Alsatian:

Here are the daily situation maps from the 12th Army Group, D-Day through Falaise Gap. Hosted by Library of Congress. Shows daily position of 271st I.D. as far as allied intelligence thought.

Just browse through til you find the date you want.

Great maps but they don't allow you to zoom in and get any details.

I will spend more time on the site and maybe figure out a way to get clearer identification of units and details from the maps.

Thanks for the help.

Panther Commander </font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JasonC:

They weren't with an SS unit, they were with Heer infantry at this time.

http://www.wssob.com/102abtssp.html

This link says they were....

As I pointed out in my email, Steve, I think that Steel Inferno might have some info on them? </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

... for some reason all three readings of Jasons remark had me convinced he was saying the unit in question was an Army unit (as opposed to being attached to an Army unit, which is what he meant).

Heh. I thought the same thing when I first read it. I managed to untangle the syntax on the second or third go though ;) Even so, it still reads oddly to me smile.gif

Regards

JonS

Edit: On re-reading that sentence yet again, I think the problem is that I - for some reason - want to ignore the two 'with's, which of course completely changes the meaning of the sentence.

[ February 24, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

There is a comment on Mike's link that says they were with KG Wunsche, though the date is a little earlier. I think that entry about KG Wunsche is probably confused about whose Tigers were with them.

Kampfgruppe Wünsche was a subunit of 12SS, and on 6 August its composition was

Kampfgruppe Wünsche 6. August 1944

I./SS-Panzerregiment 12 Stab

3. Kompanie I.Abteilung SS-Panzerregiment 12

8. Kompanie II.Abteilung SS-Panzerregiment 12

***2. Kompanie Schwer SS-Panzerabteilung 101***

I. Bataillon SS-Panzergrenadierregiment 26

III. Bataillon SS-Panzergreandierregiment 26

Not 102. It is possible 102 turned over Tigers to 101 I suppose, and were with this KG. Around this time they were plummeting in running strength, after all. But the parent formation SS-102 was subordinate to 271 ID as of 11 August.

[ February 24, 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]