Any plans for a lo-res CMAK doodad mod?

Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

...or that someone can explain to me how I may do it myself.

Just use any image editing software--Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, hell, even the MSPAINT program that ships with Windows might work--and resize the relevant images, keeping the height to width ratio the same. Doo-dads and things will probably have to be retouched to get rid of pinkies, but other than that time-consuming aspect, it's a simple process.

I don't know how many individual BMPs are involved in the doo-dads, but if it's a relatively small number, it wouldn't be a big job. Trees on the other hand...

Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

Thanks. I was thinking of downgrading the image quality from 24 bit to 8 bit rather than resizing the BMPs, would I be going about it the wrong way if I did?

I believe that would help also. I think the problem with high res graphics is how much video memory they take up combined with old video cards (16 or 32 MB), so anything to reduce the file size should be positive as far as performance goes.

The doodads may also be putting a strain on the graphics processor, since it has to draw all of them. Someone more expert with video issues could no doubt advise you better, however I'm fairly certain the reducing file size (either through conversion or resizing) will help to some degree.

I'm happy to turn this into my little christmas project while the turkey digests, but to get me away to a good start I would very much appreciate the appropriate .bmp numbers which I should be working on.

If anyone knows them already and can take the time to post the doodad .bmp numbers (plus any others that could be worthwhile downgrading) it would be very helpful smile.gif