Hi

Greetings, I am bovis

I'm new to wargames (and 13 years old, as you can see in my profile), and am intrigued by some of the Battlefront.com games.

I would just like to know, which games do you think I should try to get my brother to buy?

bovis,

Welcome aboard! To better answer your question, it would be helpful to know what kind of warfare interests you or you and your brother, presuming that you intend to have it each other in the latter case. The choices are many and growing, and some are even free. It all comes down, though, to what floats your boat. Do you, for example, wish to fight an entire war, as in 1848,

or engage in modern combat operations, as in TacOps? Have you dreamed of fighting under nonterrestrial gravitation in, say, a methane atmosphere? If so, there's Drop Team. When it comes to World War II, though, you can go with Down in Flames, a computerized version of an aerial combat card game, or you can go with the CM trilogy: CMBO, a terrific game of company and battalion combat on the Western Front, but somewhat dated in both weapon modeling and environmental effects: what works well in CMBO will get you killed in CMBB and CMAK; CMBB, the Eastern Front sim with lots of features CMBO lacks, or CMAK, which has all the bells and whistles the original engine would accommodate, but is set in Crete, North Africa, Sicily and Italy and already has quite a mod community turning out everything needed to play in Normandy and elsewhere in the ETO, with some adjustments made for missing vehicle types. I've doubtless missed some, but this should give you some feel for the possibilities. And remember, there's a sale on until the end of the month for digital downloads of earlier BFC games--believe it's 30% off.

Regards,

John Kettler

You could buy it here direct from the Battlefront website. The downside is that they probably aren't the cheapest but the upside is that every coin ends up with the guys who made the game. And they aren't bigshot publisher but a bunch of nice guys who could use every bit of cash to make even better games.

Naturally I realize that as a 13 year old you aren't awash with money but I'd still very much would like you to consider buying it from BFC directly because CM is probably the best value-for-money purchase you are ever going to make. I know it was for me.

If not, look for it at shops that have a good reputation re: stocking PC titles, they might have a copy lying around dirt cheap. It'll be a rare find though. Or maybe Google for it in the area where you live.

In the end it doesn't really matter where you buy CM from, just that you buy it. You'd kick yourself if you didn't.

Thanks for the advice as well.

The only problem is that, we have been buying games a lot lately in our household, and for the CMBB and CMAK double pack (boxed) alone, it's about 98 New Zealand dollars (60 US dollars).

My brother always strives to find really cheap prices, and he would just laugh at that price and say we can't get the game.

I'll try to convince him to buy it straight from Battlefront.com, but it's not going to be easy.

-bovis

Oh, yeah, I just remembered. He also would probably only want to get the Special Edition, as it comes with more stuff (Granted, we could just download all that stuff). This is another reason why he wouldn't want to get it straight from Battlefront.com.

bovis,

Be advised that the boxed CDV produced licensed special editions of these games are made to conform to European legal requirements. This means no German swastika flags and no mention whatsoever of the SS

either. The latter are called Waffen Grenadiere instead. Clever people have come up with downloadable patches (available as downloads at BFC, I believe) to address this issue. Thought you should know this going in.

Regards,

John Kettler

You should d/l the demo versions for each CM if you haven't already done so to allow yourself and your brother to get a feel for the games.

They are all great games in their own way and even though CMBO is showing its age now it's a must buy still if only to support BFC and of course for the extra vehicles which a lot of people miss in CMAK.

Although to be fair CMAK doesn't include certain vehicles because they weren't actually used in MTO and it's not a developer mistake, just so you know. smile.gif

Originally posted by bovis:

Just a question,

Does the Combat Mission Anthology also have those things taken out to conform with the European laws?

-bovis

If you get it straight from here, no. If you get the cdv version from a store, more than likely. Though I had the SS and all in my CDV CMAK SE. Maybe that's just in America?

Originally posted by John Kettler:

stoat,

What you report is news to me. I thought the European law conformance was true of all the CDV CM product.

Regards,

John Kettler

I have no idea, really. I thought the CDV version would have waffengrenadier in lieu of SS. I have SS on my version.