Voodoo 5

Alright, I need some advice from V5 owners. I currently have a p3 450, 128mb RAM, SB Live, BE6 mobo, and a 12mb Voodoo2. The V2 is just not cutting it for me. I will be upgrading my cpu at the end of the year, but am getting a new video card in the next couple of weeks. I can get a V5 5500 for A$700. Ok, now my question. Is it worth it? Will I get too much of a bottleneck with my system as is if I do buy it? I really want something with FSAA. The other options I have are:

Voodoo 4 4500 = A$475

Leadteak Geforce 32mb = A$375

That's about it. If anyone could give me the down low and dirty, it would be much appreciated wink.gif

------------------

I'm always in the ****, it's only the depth that varies.

Though I don't own either board, I'd recommend the GeForce, especially at that price. The Voodoo 5's drivers aren't completely up to par when it comes to using both video chips (last I heard). They'll probably get this fixed at some point. Both cards support FSAA, though I hear that the Voodoos may do it better (though the v. 5.32 drivers for the GeForce helps things out a bit in that department).

I guess the big question is whether the GeForce card is a DDR. Comparing the prices against the 3dfx cards I would assume that it isn't. If it is a SDR card then it comes down to how much do you want to spend (the DDR cards could cost a lot closer to the V5 5500). The Nvidia drivers are usually very good and there have been very few problems with them when it comes to CM.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-10-2000).]

Yes you are right Cubes, the V4 doesn't do FSAA, and the Geforce is only SDR. I'm thinking the V5 - it seems to be the best option that I have at the moment. We have very limited choice in Australia when it comes to things like this mad.gif

------------------

I'm always in the ****, it's only the depth that varies.

I am not a v5 owner, but have a v3 three thousand.I'll tell you that 3dfx support for there cards is not nearly what it was when two (Voodoo II)was around.Its probobly because Creative was doing all their work.I whould have to say don't waste your money on these cards.You could maybe shell out $50 and get another V2.Wait till the next gen cards come out and save youself a lot of aggrevation.

P.S. - The 3dfx forum at www.3dfxgamers.com should tell you what I haven't about this.Look under V3/V5 support.

-There still making the chipset, but there problem is with the board.

[This message has been edited by zzx-rot (edited 07-14-2000).]

I have the 5500 with a celeron 500. I don't play first person shooters but do play flight sims. My needs are not pure speed. If they were, the Geforce 2 would be the fastest. My needs are image quality at fast frame rates and the 5500 fits the bill perfectly right now. But also buy a new vid card every year too.

You have to ask yourself though how long you intend to keep your card. Both nVidia and 3dfx will come out with their next-gen cards in Nov/Dec timeframe. But since you live in Australia, it might be awhile before either one gets to you.

Don't let anyone say 3dfx's support sucks. I have had no problems with my 5500 and neither have 99% of the V5 owners. They have the most stable boards around for all the vast array of configurations. You just can't go wrong with 3dfx. You might could do better, you just can't go wrong. Can't say the same for nVidia.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I agree with Jardis re Voodoo 5 meeting my needs for picture quality and FSAA at good frame rates for sims.

I got a V5 last week for CM. It looks great running at 1024 x 768 on a 19" monitor with 4X FSAA. I have PIII 600 with 128RAM.

I researched the GF2 cards, but game compatibility and driver problems, plus the super-resolution (with insufficient memory bandwidth) method of FSAA put me off.

Get the V5 and you'll be happy.

------------------

I fought the Law and the Law won.