Voodoo 5 5500 problem

Hiya.

I did search on the articles and noticed that some people have had the same problem than I have. Voodoo 5 card, when I start the game my mouse leaves annoying 'blotches' on the screen. If my FSAA is set to Best Performance the text has white background and is unreadable. If I goto other screen the whole command panel turns to unreadable with lines here and there.

IF I set FSAA to 2x or 4x it fixes the white text in white background problem, however I still can't switch to other screen without command panel becoming garbled.

Everything works out with Single Chip set on FSAA, but.. It's just annoying. Because I know it worked before my HD crashed just fine.

I went through all the drivers, updated to DirectX8a and tried to change about everything I could imagine.

If there are Voodoo 5 owners here who had similar problems and got rid of them, let me know what settings you use for your card, what drivers version (my OS is Win98) or anything else you can think of.

-- MS. --

Unfortunately these are issues with the Voodoo 4/5 series drivers. I don't know if anyone has resolved all of them. If you're sure that you didn't have these problems before you should try to find out exactly which drivers and DirectX version you were running.

I can't recall if there are newer drivers than these. I believe this set of drivers comes from the development team at 3dfx, right after they closed. There may be some newer drivers somewhere out there.

x3dfx site (click on the "drivers" item on the left and select your video card and OS):

http://www.x3dfx.com/

I never noticed these little glitches with the Voodoo 5 before, funny thing is that my old system (before HD crash) was a complete chaos when it comes to updated drivers. Now I've gone through 3 or 4 different set of drivers including the beta ones and only problems this far are with Combat Mission :(

Well, the single chip system works (kinda, seems horribly slow for one??) almost. Im just going to keep beating it until it works smile.gif

-- MS. --

I think I may have an answer to your problem.

I was having the same excact problem as you with the "whited-out" text on everything in the game. I played this way for a month and I did everything to troubleshoot it, then I stumbled upon one thing that solved it finally.

Here is what to do:

- You should have a 3dfx Icon in your tool bar menu. Double click on it.

- Click on the 3dfx Anti-Aliasing tab.

- For Anti-Aliasing, scroll down to "4 Sample Anti-Aliasing. (Doing this will improve your graphics and speed.)

- Click Apply.

I now no longer have the "whited-out" text and can read everything! I really hope that this solves the problem for you.

I noticed that also, however it still gives 'broken' graphics if you switch to some other program while playing. However, I have been planning to get new graphics card anyway. Most likely the ATI's Radeon with 64MB DDR. It's pretty affordable and should offer good performance for the money.

Well, hopefully I get to play my CM without any annoying problems in near future smile.gif

-- MS. --

One problem to note with the ATI cards... They do not offer complete fog-table support under DirectX. I have yet to see fog in CM with the latest BETA drivers and registry tweaks. Otherwise they do fairly well.

Depending on when your card was manufactured you may want to update the drivers, since some of the early drivers had some glitches in CM.

You would get rid of your V5 for a Radeon? No FSAA, no fog? Ouch. I have the 5500 AGP and have all the problems as you. I don't esc to the desktop then get back into the game. I don't worry about the mouse pointer problem since it doesn't appear in the game. I have 4x FSAA on so text whiteout is not a problem. The only problem I have is that for some scenarios (All or Nothing is one of them), my video memory is swamped and the whole screen starts whiting out. Using low res mods instead of high res would help, but I like the eye candy. So, for some scenarios I have to switch to single chip rendering. It's ugly, but it's easy and painless to do. As you said, CM is the only game with problems but the problems certainly aren't insurmountable.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

I have 4x FSAA on so text whiteout is not a problem. The only problem I have is that for some scenarios (All or Nothing is one of them), my video memory is swamped and the whole screen starts whiting out. Using low res mods instead of high res would help, but I like the eye candy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to use 4x at 1024x768 on my V5, but have since switched to 1280x960 in 2xFSAA. The 4xFSAA would slow down larger scenarios too much (along with losing or substituting textures). I don't have those probs any more with 2xFSAA. It's not quite as nice looking and the textures shimmer more (pixel popping) than with 4x, but I can see distant objects better at the higher res. I think it's a pretty good trade-off, myself. Just a thought.

- Chris