CMx2 Interface, my hopes

Originally posted by Vedric:

Quote from aka_tom_w

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Developement Team/Programer = ONE PERSON

that may suggest why there are so few "frills"

That's suprising considering the success of the CM series, even if it is a smaller genre than it deserves. Does Battlefront pool talent resources to some degree for its developers then? I'm not a programmer or artist but I would gladly help if it's needed to define new functionality and work out any glitches.

Sincerely,

Vedric </font>

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vedric:

4. Turning the camera is done by holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse.

And for single button mice like those used by the machines the game is developed on? </font>

Quote from Berlichtingen:

And for single button mice like those used by the machines the game is developed on?

If you haven't read the whole thread and figured it out for yourself I can answer this for you.

A. Don't use the mouselook feature. Just stick to whatever you use in BB and AK.

B. Remap the mouselook button to another key. Also, built in redundancy is easy. Much the same as RMB and Spacebar opens up the orders panel.

C. Buy one of them fancy new two button +wheel mice! ;)

Quote from KiloIndiaAlpha:

Have 'Terrain Marks'. These would work in the same way as book marks do in a document.

I like this too. I played a game that did this but can't remember it's name for my life. It had the typical RTS style CTRL+# for unit bookmarks along with CTRL+F-keys for camera bookmarks.

It could remember the exact camera x,y,z +tilt and facing then simply recall to that location.

Vedric

I had three more ideas on possible interface improvements.

When moving multiple units, say a platoon, allowing multiple waypoints with more than one selected unit would be nice. This should default to the same method used for single units.

Along the same line, allowing you to assign the same firing arc to all units selected would make preparing for an infantry advance somewhat less intensive when you just want to limit their firing range while seeking the enemy line.

To add to firing arc functionality I would like to see a facing tool for the arc. Instead of redrawing a new arc you simply move its center. This would work like the "rotate to" tool for vehicles. You hit your hotkey or select from the menu then click on the map to alter the facing of the arc. Without changing the width or depth of the arc the squad (or turret) now centers in a new direction.

Vedric