Newbie Mod Help?

Ansbach

Hi all, new to CMAK and the boards but have been lurking for a little while... anyway, I am ready to start downloading mods and was looking for a "Newbie's Guide to Essential Mods".

Not "how to", but rather I wanted to know if there are any 'essentials' out there that everybody uses? Like maybe sounds, terrain, etc. - before I start selecting individually modded equipment. Also, I thought I read something about mod-manager software but I couldn't find the post again.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Ansbach:

Hi all, new to CMAK and the boards but have been lurking for a little while... anyway, I am ready to start downloading mods and was looking for a "Newbie's Guide to Essential Mods".

Not "how to", but rather I wanted to know if there are any 'essentials' out there that everybody uses? Like maybe sounds, terrain, etc. - before I start selecting individually modded equipment. Also, I thought I read something about mod-manager software but I couldn't find the post again.

Thanks in advance!

First, Go to CMMods.com and register/login.

Second, the mod managers are listed in the left hand menu.

Second, here's my list of mods you'll truely appreciate:

1. Anything by Tanksalot

2. Any uniforms by AndrewTF

3. Oddball_E8's sound mods (need WinRAR to open)

4. Limey's Gridded Terrain (I think it's just about required for NA scenarios)

5. If you're a Squad Leader nut, MADorosh has a great set of mods

6. Flags & Markers

So far, not a lot of vehicle mods have been completed, but MikeyD, MikeT, gautrek and JorgeMC have submitted some nice work. And let's not forget the first set of Winterized vehicles by Wicky.

And that's just the beginning. There are many more great mods to pick from. You really need to browse through them to find the one's you like. I expect to see a big increase in mod submission in the next couple months. Modders have had time to play the game and start modding it to their liking.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

COG

Originally posted by Mark Gallear:

I have some Mods on Mod Corner and an introduction to making simple Mods on Mod School.

Be warned some of my useful mods could be considered done in "the best possible taste" category.

Hey cool, your page I was searching. *added*

I like the icon bars on you page smile.gif

If you're talking about simply uploading mods instead of making your own there's no hard-and-fast rules. Pick up what you like, avoid what you don't like, and ALWAYS back-up the default art just in case something goes drastically wrong.

Depending on how 'into it' you get, there's also a useful automatic mod manager program out there to help you juggle and swap-out mods (though this isn't strictly necessary). And after you start to know your way around the BMP folder you can consider raiding the CMMODS.com 'CMBB' section for mods that may be applicable to both games. For example my own MikeyD "Road, dirty winter" and "Rubble, more convincing" can be used in both games.

It should be a bit less confusing to start out modding CMAK. The game's new and mod work has just begun on it. CMBB, on the other hand, has more mods to choose from than you can shake a stick at! :D

[ February 09, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]