Titanium PowerBook G4 (Mac): game won't recognize CD

I have been up to recently playing Combat Mission with no problems on my Mac PowerBook Firewire (Pismo) 500 MHz, 768 MB memory (in OS 9, unfortunately; hope things work out so it plays in OS X soon), but recently upgraded to a PowerBook Titanium G4 800 MHz, 1 G memory. When I switched over to OS 9 and inserted the Command Mission CD and started the game, however, it told me it wouldn't play without the CD present, which of course it was, right there in the drive.

I'll be happy to respond to requests for amplification of the above situation, though it's pretty straightforward, as described.

I'd appreciate any tech help available.

Thanks.

Is the CD recognized in OSX then?

Can you get any machine to read the CD?

This sounds like a broken CD to me, despite the coincidence.

If you can get the CD read in any way, you could use "disk copy" to create an image of the CD and then use it when playing.

I have the same problem on my PC at home. When I start my PC up, I can load CM. If I haven't used CM at all on bootup, then go to use it after an hour or so, it says there's no CD in the drive. I thought it was perhaps some sort of power-saving bugette. For it to detect the CD, I have to restart my PC.

Maybe it's just a marketing ploy to force me to load CM as soon as I switch my PC on. smile.gif

Originally posted by Soddball:

I have the same problem on my PC at home. When I start my PC up, I can load CM. If I haven't used CM at all on bootup, then go to use it after an hour or so, it says there's no CD in the drive. I thought it was perhaps some sort of power-saving bugette. For it to detect the CD, I have to restart my PC.

Maybe it's just a marketing ploy to force me to load CM as soon as I switch my PC on. smile.gif

I had a similar thing happen in my old Mac clone, but that machine had a lot of peculiar quirks...

Computers are complex beasts, and it's easy to throw them off their feed. What can I say?

:confused:

Michael

When you restart in OS9, I think you still have to disable the Classic Rave extension. (That extension is apparently the reason why CM won't run in Classic mode in OSX, but it also screws things up in various ways if you leave it active when you boot in OS9.)

The CD is not broken. The system reads it. Further, I had been using a CD image all along, for months since purchasing the game, in order to preserve the original disk. I only loaded it this time because the game, not the system, refused to recognize the image; it then treated the physical CD with the same disdain.

As for any extension called RAVE, there doesn't seem to be one. I'm playing on stock PowerBooks (can't put third-party video boards in PowerBooks).

OS 9.2.x I believe may include the 'Classic RAVE' extension by default. This extension is necessary for running Classic Mode RAVE apps in OS X. However this extension can be installed by default in a stand alone OS 9.2.x installation. This extension is necessary to run QuickDraw3D RAVE apps in OS X. However it doesn't support all of the RAVE calls that CMBO makes and thus CMBO doesn't work in Classic Mode under OS X (with hardware rendering, I believe it does work with software rendering). You have to boot up in OS 9.x in order to get CMBO to use hardware rendering.

Anyway... Classic RAVE gets installed no matter which video card on the Mac you use (which is mostly limited to ATI and NVidia chipsets). Even a straight OS 9.2.x installation can have the Classic RAVE extension installed which may interfere with CMBO running properly. Removing this extension can help (though if you have OS X installed and this is your Classic folder, the Classic RAVE extension will be recopied to that folder again when OS X boots up).

So you now have a new PowerBook and you installed CMBO on it, patched it and made a CD image to run it completely from the hard drive. Is OS X installed on this laptop ? How many Classic folders (or partitions) do you have installed ? Are you running Classic Mode within OS X or are you booting directly into OS 9.x ?

Is your version of the CD 1.12 ? If you patch it with the same patch, CM won't see the CD. You must leave CM unpatched if it is already at 1.12.