Information on SSG Lafayette Pool 3rd AD

Does anyone have any information on SSG Lafayette Pool of the 3rd Armored Division?

Especially about this particular day:

At Namur, Belgium, "In The Mood's" crew destroyed sixteen enemy vehicles, including assault guns, self propelled anti-tank guns, plus several armored personnel carriers in one day.

"In The Mood" was SSG Pool's tank.

I would appreciate any information on this fight that you may have.

Thanks ahead of time.

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Hans:

PC do you have a date for that?

No, I don't have an exact date. It was after August 7th but before September 19th. This was not the Battle of the Bulge but part of the pursuit phase.

Here is a bit more about what I do know...

At Namur, Belgium, "In The Mood's" crew destroyed sixteen enemy vehicles, including assault guns, self propelled anti-tank guns, plus several armored personnel carriers in one day. At Dison, Belgium, Pool distinguished himself while acting as a platoon leader. He decided to use his own tank to clean out an annoying pocket of resistance on the left flank of the route they were traveling. After finding and destroying six armored personnel carriers Pool discovered that the head of his column had been fired upon by a German Panther. Quickly he ordered his driver to regain the column. Upon arriving upon the scene of the action he spotted the enemy tank, gave a single estimated range to Oller. The gunner fired an A.P. projectile at 1500 yards to destroy the Panther. The column then moved on with Pool again in his customary place in the lead. Although Pool had two tanks knocked out from under him, he had nerves of steel. His crew added confidence from his bearing and as a result they moved as a single unit, like clockwork.

Pool's luck ran out at the town of Munsterbusch, south of Aachen, Germany, on September 19, 1944, while leading the breakthrough through the Westwall. The crew was due to rotate home in a few days for a war bond tour. "In The Mood" was not leading this time but was flank guard for the task force that day. Pool spotted a heavy anti-tank gun hidden in a house. They had a substitute loader that day as Boggs was sent back for a hearing check-up prior to rotating to the states. The new guy shoved a round in the breech of the 76mm gun and jammed it.

Unable to fire, Pool yelled "Back up baby!" as the first shell hit the turret blowing Pool off the tank onto the ground. He landed running and his right leg folded up like an accordion. He quickly gave himself a morphine injection, sat down and tried to cut his shattered leg off with his pocket knife. Meanwhile, a second shell hit the tank well forward as Richards backed the tank up slowly. To Richards, Oller, the loader and Close, there was only the bell sound of the hit, the stench of powder and shower of sparks. Richards didn't know that Pool had been thrown clear of the turret and kept on backing up. Col. Richardson saw "In The Mood" slowly reach a cut bank and, as if in slow motion, topple over, almost upside down.

Thanks for trying to help.

Panther Commander

That would be an interesting action to CM. I ask because years ago I believe I read about that tank in the US Army's Armor magazine, out of Ft Knox, that name, 'in the mood' stuck in my mind.

See if you can find a list of Armor articles or try contacting the Librarian at the Armor school at Ft. Knox....at least I hope it was the Armor magazine!

We may have some US Armor guys here on the forum too.

Oh I'm talking 1970-1980 or there abouts