Where to get Green books?

Crinius

Your best bet for a (cheap) bound copy is a decent library.

The US CMH has a number of them here -

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/Bookshelves/WW2-EAME.htm

In addition, there is a 4 disk CD-rom set containing all the green books in PDF format. It is called "the United States Army in WW II", which you can order from the government printing office for $23, here -

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/wwii/

If you insist on your own copy of cloth bound, you can order them from the gpo above. This link will take you to the right spot in the document -

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/sb/sb-098.html#wwii

Prices vary. The Siegfried Line Campaign costs $38, the Lorraine Campaign costs $44, the Bulge volume costs $65.

Note the Cross Channel Attack volume is roughly half D-Day prep, extensive coverage of D-Day itself, and not much on the rest of the campaign. I'd read it online, rather than buying it. The ground campaign is covered in greater detail in the separate volumes (which I don't see listed for sale as print volumes, but you can find at the CMH above) Utah Beach to Cherbourg and The Push to St. Lo.

You can get higher level overviews of the campaigns much more cheaply with the pamphlet series ($2.50 a volume or so). Scroll up for those. They are also online at the CMH, above. Not nearly the detail level of the green books, though, those are just operational histories at the army-corps-division level.

I hope this helps.

Your best bet for a (cheap) bound copy is a decent library.

The US CMH has a number of them here -

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/Bookshelves/WW2-EAME.htm

In addition, there is a 4 disk CD-rom set containing all the green books in PDF format. It is called "the United States Army in WW II", which you can order from the government printing office for $23, here -

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/wwii/

If you insist on your own copy of cloth bound, you can order them from the gpo above. This link will take you to the right spot in the document -

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/sb/sb-098.html#wwii

Prices vary. The Siegfried Line Campaign costs $38, the Lorraine Campaign costs $44, the Bulge volume costs $65.

Note the Cross Channel Attack volume is roughly half D-Day prep, extensive coverage of D-Day itself, and not much on the rest of the campaign. I'd read it online, rather than buying it. The ground campaign is covered in greater detail in the separate volumes (which I don't see listed for sale as print volumes, but you can find at the CMH above) Utah Beach to Cherbourg and The Push to St. Lo.

You can get higher level overviews of the campaigns much more cheaply with the pamphlet series ($2.50 a volume or so). Scroll up for those. They are also online at the CMH, above. Not nearly the detail level of the green books, though, those are just operational histories at the army-corps-division level.

I hope this helps.

There was also a series of reprints 10-20 years ago in a brown binding. I don't know if it covers the whole series of Green Books or not. In any event, they lick a lot of the maps in the original series. Since the maps are separately available from the CMH, that might not be such a bad thing though. Finally, haunt your local used book stores and also check out the ones that have web pages (there are quite a lot). You are likely to find both green and brown books there at a considerable discount.

BTW, the 4-disk CD-ROM set that Jason refers to only covers the ETO and the Med-Middle East. Nothing on the Pacific in that set. I understand one or two more sets are in the making that will round out the series.

Michael

There was also a series of reprints 10-20 years ago in a brown binding. I don't know if it covers the whole series of Green Books or not. In any event, they lick a lot of the maps in the original series. Since the maps are separately available from the CMH, that might not be such a bad thing though. Finally, haunt your local used book stores and also check out the ones that have web pages (there are quite a lot). You are likely to find both green and brown books there at a considerable discount.

BTW, the 4-disk CD-ROM set that Jason refers to only covers the ETO and the Med-Middle East. Nothing on the Pacific in that set. I understand one or two more sets are in the making that will round out the series.

Michael

Originally posted by General Colt:

The 50th aniversary edition didn't come with the foldout maps. The maps are all on the CDs.

They were also available as a separate purchase last time I looked. Kind of a hassle, but there it is. I printed out a lot of the maps on the CDs, but they weren't very good scans, so they don't come out as nice as the originals.

Michael

Originally posted by General Colt:

The 50th aniversary edition didn't come with the foldout maps. The maps are all on the CDs.

They were also available as a separate purchase last time I looked. Kind of a hassle, but there it is. I printed out a lot of the maps on the CDs, but they weren't very good scans, so they don't come out as nice as the originals.

Michael

Enigma - the US army official histories of world war two, were published as a large series of scholarly histories covering each campaign, in a level of detail that goes down to battalion and company in places. They were bound with green covers and spines, and in a library collection form a shelf or two of "green books". Thus "Green Book" (about X, optional) refers to a volume of the official US army history of WW II.

Some of the better volumes are the Battle of the Bulge and the Lorraine Campaign by Hugh Cole, and the Siegfried Line Campaign by Charles MacDonald. (MacDonald also did the volume on the campaign into Germany, called "the Last Offensive"). Normandy is covered in detail in three works, Omaha Beachhead, Utah Beach to Cherbourg, and the Push to St. Lo (by staff historians), with another, Breakout and Pursuit, covering the race across France (by Martin Blumenson). There are also volumes on the MTO - Tunisia, Sicily, and several on every phase of the Italian campaign, from Salerno, Cassino ("the Winter Line"), Anzio, Appenines, and Po valley.

It is an incredible resource for understanding the US army in WW II, the way they fought, and the blow by blow of the campaign. Virtually every critical action is described, often from eyewitness testimony. Army staff historians did combat interviews with the men after action, also working from unit reports to headquarters, journals kept at division and regimental level, etc. They also use German side staff reports and in some cases interviews with officers after the war, for sections on "the enemy side".

Enigma - the US army official histories of world war two, were published as a large series of scholarly histories covering each campaign, in a level of detail that goes down to battalion and company in places. They were bound with green covers and spines, and in a library collection form a shelf or two of "green books". Thus "Green Book" (about X, optional) refers to a volume of the official US army history of WW II.

Some of the better volumes are the Battle of the Bulge and the Lorraine Campaign by Hugh Cole, and the Siegfried Line Campaign by Charles MacDonald. (MacDonald also did the volume on the campaign into Germany, called "the Last Offensive"). Normandy is covered in detail in three works, Omaha Beachhead, Utah Beach to Cherbourg, and the Push to St. Lo (by staff historians), with another, Breakout and Pursuit, covering the race across France (by Martin Blumenson). There are also volumes on the MTO - Tunisia, Sicily, and several on every phase of the Italian campaign, from Salerno, Cassino ("the Winter Line"), Anzio, Appenines, and Po valley.

It is an incredible resource for understanding the US army in WW II, the way they fought, and the blow by blow of the campaign. Virtually every critical action is described, often from eyewitness testimony. Army staff historians did combat interviews with the men after action, also working from unit reports to headquarters, journals kept at division and regimental level, etc. They also use German side staff reports and in some cases interviews with officers after the war, for sections on "the enemy side".