"Little Stalingrad": The Battle For Ortona v1.0 at the Proving Grounds now

I am about halfway thru the second game, and it has been a grinder all the way.

In the first game I captured the Santa Maria di Constantinopoli Church, the Villa d'Allesandro and a good part of the SW corner, but at a heavy cost. I also lost as many tanks in that first game as the Canadians did in the entire 6 day battle, although I may get 2 back once they are repaired.

For some reason I started the second game at nearly the same setup zone as the first, this despite an advance of almost 200 meters. Now the battle rages behind the Santa Maria di Constantinopoli Church, while I have now run into another ambush in the SW corner, this time a little deeper into the city. I also have 2 platoons ready to advance across the Via Constantinopoli, but am waiting to bring up some support.

Thats it for now. As soon as game 2 ends I will post another DAR.

Excellent Op, Mike. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good urban slog.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on the second battle of this op and it is a nice piece of work! It's been a while since playing the AI was any fun. Incidentally, I ignored the flanking opportunities and went straight into the city, in an attempt to "keep it real".

Question: Is "version 2" (as suggested) due to be posted any time soon? Or is the author looking for more feedback? If the former is true, I'll hold up and wait. If the latter, well I'll try to finish it quickly and post my comments wherever they'd be welcome.

I have been promising to send a setup of V.2 to Adam for some time now. Still trying to find the time to sit down and make the revisions. I think increasing the steepness of the coastal area will prevent the gamey end rush, in addition to making it more realistic. JonS sent me this aerial photo - you can see my V.1 map didn't have enough vertical relief on the coast.

ortona.jpg