Help: memorial places in Crete?

"Can you tell me where is this cemetery?"--bardosy

Maleme. I was there is '96 and it was one of my best trips ever. The original Tavronitis bridge was still there, unused and abandoned due to a new bypass. From this bridge, look to the east. That hill (107? I forget)you see is where the British set up the airfield defense (the airfield is off-limits). From the hill you can follow signs to the beautifully preserved German cemetery. It really is stunning. The best part was that this cemetery is lovingly cared for by some old Cretan ladies. I asked them, in my mediocre Greek why they took such care of this cemetery as those buried there had come to kill Greeks and what they said I shall never forget. "All of these dead buried here had mothers waiting for them back home. They never returned. We are their mothers now."

Crete was a blast. Great food, raki (forget ouzo), and spectacular scenery. It is my favorite place on earth. The walled city of Galatos still remains (how do you depict a walled city fight in CM--or any other game?), Iraklio and Retimo are also must-see locales. If you are in to Minoan Culture (remember the Sematar[sic]--half bull, half-man?), take the trip and tour Knossos--a true "must see".

Rent a car, watch out for the ubiquitous mountain goats, trek the Sphakia Gorge, and party at Hermonessos [sic]. The latter is a cool party place. Check out the "Tina Bar', if it is still in business.

I left my heart in Crete. I envy you. :D

I too had the pleasure of visiting Crete in 1996, and had a great time even though it was my 30th birthday. Part of the reason to visit Crete was to go to a place with lots of history as well as good food and friendly people.

The med was gorgeous, crystal clear and a pleasure to swim in, coming from me that is a big recommendation. Normaly I can only spend a day or two of a fortnight holiday sunbathing and swimming as I get bored and get sunburnt very quickly.

What what I remember, Malia was full of Brits (too British), Hersonnisos full of Germans, and Stalida (otherwise known as Stalis) was half and half and I think was a good choice of place to stay or visit.

The locals were friendly and great. Food and drink (Amstel was everywhere) were cheap and good.

Suda bay was a very moving place to visit, a haven of green lawns and immaculate headstones overlooking the sea. One thing that struck me was the headstones were from a variety of time periods and nationalities.

Along with the comments from other posts I would recommend visiting Chania (Hania), the old capital. Much prettier than Hekaklion and has a variety of archtecture including turkish and venetian. Heraklion does have a great venetian fortress overlooking the harbour and is definitely worth a visit.

Try the raki and the retsina !