A different look at Italian campaign!

Miss all that CMBB Berlin street fighting?

See the attached picture (stolen off the AFV News chat site). Late December 1943. Ortona Italy. 1st Canadian Division vs German 1st Parachute Division. Just cries out for a scenario, don't it?

pic54237.jpg

(My first properly posted picture! :D )

Originally posted by Runyan99:

Last I checked at the Proving Grounds, it was still an Advance/Assault type op.

What did you use for No Man's Land?

It was ages ago...

MINOR SPOILER

There is a different version at the Depot though, using feedback from the Proving Grounds - GJK in particular. I think I used 0m for No Man's Land since it was dense terrain, may have gone for 80. I changed the contour levels, also, and increased the number of German booby traps (ie located minefields inside buildings). I hope that is what I uploaded to the depot...damn, now I will have to see!

EDIT - yes, definitely now a static op, available for download at the Depot. I had hoped to run through it with Adam_Lloyd (aka Pillar) but he got busy with school. I haven't played much CM of any kind in the last few weeks in any event.

2nd EDIT - No Man's Land is at 0 metres. I am not sure this is optimum, I don't have a lot of success with making operations. Perhaps you have a suggestion? ;)

[ August 03, 2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Yes.

I used to be an advocate of 0 NML, but some recent analysis by Sergei has shown me some problems with that setting.

In particular, a 0 NML draws a straight line across the map for setup zones. It does not allow for small penetrations and salients along the line.

Only by increasing the NML do you seem to allow for bends and salients in the NML. This seems especially important for an urban battle, where advances might be measured only by a few buildings in one location.

For similar reasons, I need to edit my Tobruk operation and open up the NML setting, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet....

Originally posted by Runyan99:

Yes.

I used to be an advocate of 0 NML, but some recent analysis by Sergei has shown me some problems with that setting.

In particular, a 0 NML draws a straight line across the map for setup zones. It does not allow for small penetrations and salients along the line.

Only by increasing the NML do you seem to allow for bends and salients in the NML. This seems especially important for an urban battle, where advances might be measured only by a few buildings in one location.

For similar reasons, I need to edit my Tobruk operation and open up the NML setting, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet....

I shall have to test this out a bit more, methinks.

Bump for MikeyD