So I am not quite sure how "current" these renderings are

they are indeed very very nice

but I think that maybe there are now even better possibilities

of course rendering an image for static viewing

and rendering it for dynamic use in a Wargame

may be two quite different challenges

Originally posted by rleete:

Their prices have gotten out of hand.

Maybe the prices now reflect the level of work that goes into making these models; that and outlay on programs such as 3DMax, Rhinoceros, Alias etc., which 3D modellers seem to prefer using. I'm lucky; my employer usually picks up the tab for all my 3D software and training! Mind you, if you spend all day as a CAD monkey, the last thing I want to do when I get home is, well, be a CAD monkey!

Tim P

Hey Junk2Drive! Thanks for the link! I don't think I'll be buying any of their products any time soon but just surfing the forums is an education.

Out of curiosity, what DOES one do with this tank once you buy it--make cool screen savers or design your own rudimentary Panzer Elite game? Pardon my ignorance, but I am interested in these things. Do many people use these models for work?

Do CAD monkeys have 3D models of CAD monkeys? ;)

Originally posted by wunwinglow:

Mind you, if you spend all day as a CAD monkey, the last thing I want to do when I get home is, well, be a CAD monkey!

Hmmm. I do, so does that make me a CAD geek? And a jump from 20 bucks to over a hundred seems a bit steep for just adding on some camo schemes and a few details. The basic shape was there all along.

Originally posted by tooz:

Out of curiosity, what DOES one do with this tank once you buy it--make cool screen savers or design your own rudimentary Panzer Elite game? Pardon my ignorance, but I am interested in these things. Do many people use these models for work?

I bought one for the Tiger1 (Tiger .zip pack), as a resource for overall dimensions of the tank. I suppose model builders would use it, too. At the time, it was only done in Panzer grey, and then later modified to add the various camo schemes. I use one of the pics on my website (hey, I bought it, might as well get some use out of it!), but I've no idea what else besides games it would be good for. It is a bit much just to have a pretty picture for a game, and the files are fairly large as well.

Originally posted by tooz:

Do CAD monkeys have 3D models of CAD monkeys?

No, just tanks. Oh, and a couple of steam engines.