Error PZIIIJ intro date/rarity CMAKv103

GI JOE

Just installed Combat Mission Afrika Korp v1.03 and found an error that came up when they reinstated the PZIIIJ’s in the game. In the V1.01 patch they correctly gave the PZIII Specials (50mm L/60) the May 1942 date of introduction and appropriate high rarity. But they failed to do this for the PZIIIJ 50mm L/60 (Special) when they reinstated it in the game. I suspect that they did not double check changes they made to the game when making their corrections.

Starting December 1941 the PZIIIJ 50mm L/60 (Special) is available in North Africa even though it did not first see action in that theatre until the Battle of Gazala in May 1942. The PZIIIJ 50mm L/60 (Special) has a rarity of 10% in May 1942 making it almost as common as the PZIIIJ (Short) even though at the start of the Battle of Gazala (27 May 1942) the Germans had only 19 PZIIIJ (Specials) out of 242 available PZIII tanks. If the Germans had as many PZIII specials, as early and with the 10% rarity, then the shock of the Grant tanks would have been minimal (in fact Rommel would have armor superiority over the British).

Battle of Gazala 27 May 1942

40 PZIV’s

19 PZIII Specials

223 PZIII’s

Battle Alam Halfa 30 August to 4 September 1942

27 PZIV Specials

10 PZIV’s

73 PZIII Specials

93 PZIII’s

Battle of Alamein October 1942

30 PZIV Specials

8 PZIV’s

88 PZIII Specials

85 PZIII’s

-Rommels Desert War, Samuel W. Mitcham Jr., 1982, pages 39-40 & 146.

-Afrika Korps: Rommels Desert Soldiers, K. J. Macksey, Ballantine Illustrated History of World War II, 1977, pages 68 & 104.

-Panzer Battles, Maj.Gen. F.W. von Mellenthin, 1971, pages 64 & 111.

-Alamein: The Tide Turns, Major-General Sir Francis de Guingand, History of the Second World War Part 39, Marshall Cavendish, 1973, p1078.

The Germans in the North African Campaign were low on priority for reinforcements and new equipment was slow to arrive. According to Von Mellenthin it was not till January 1942 that new model PzIII’s and PzIV’s arrived with special face-hardened armor (i.e. PzIIIJ(short) and PzIVF with 50mm armor) that proved difficult to defeat with the 2-pounder gun.

Also PZIIIG’s were up armored to PZIIIH standards in the field work shops (i.e. 30mm to 30+30mm upper and lower hull armor) and by 1942 most were to PZIIIH standards. So during late 1941 to 1942 the rarity of PZIIIG’s should increase and the rarity of PZIIIH’s should decrease.

-Panzer Battles, Maj. Gen. F.W. Von Mellenthin, 1971, page 64 footnote 17.

-Bir Hakim: Desert Citadel, Richard Holmes, Ballantine Illustrated History of World War II, 1971, page 75.

-War in the Desert: The Eighth Army at El Alamein, James Lucas, 1982.

-The Life and Death of the Afrika Korps, Ronald Lewin, 1977, page 126.

-Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two, Peter Chamberlain and Hilary

Doyle, 1978, page 65.

-World War II Tanks, Eric Grove, 1987, page 12.

Originally posted by Jaws:

Seems like proper research smile.gif

Bah! You call that proper research? He didn't even curse anyone after offering it up. Not even Grog Dorosh!

I offer myself up in the interest of proper research. GI Joe (if that is your real name), add the addendum "And I curse Seanachai roundly while offering this up".

It'll give you more credibility.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jaws:

Seems like proper research smile.gif

Bah! You call that proper research? He didn't even curse anyone after offering it up. Not even Grog Dorosh!

I offer myself up in the interest of proper research. GI Joe (if that is your real name), add the addendum "And I curse Seanachai roundly while offering this up".

It'll give you more credibility. </font>