Bazooka team

3 x Platoons with each one consisting of:

Platoon Commander – 3 figures

2ic – 3 figures

Bazooka team – can be attached to any platoon

9 x Rifle/MG bases – four figures per base

Light mortar base

Machine gun platoon

Light machine guns act as HMG teams with a Rate of Fire (RoF) 3 (3 when pinned, 1 when moved)

2 sections, each consisting of 1 x Command base and 2 x .30 cal in each

German Forces

Defending Fallschirmjaegers

Fearless Veteran

MG teams as standard

HQ Section and Two platoons consisting of:

HQ Section – two bases, three figs on each (Coy Commander and 2ic)

Platoon Lieutenant – command base – three figs

3 Sections of 3 bases with 4 men on each (12 men in a section)

One Pak 36 3.7mm with crew and steilgranate.

PHASE-2 gulch_map_thumb_feb_2004.jpg

US Forces

Easy Company

Reinforcement platoons

2 x Tank Platoons each consisting of:

1 x Command tanks M4

4 x M4

Tank Destroyer Platoon

4 x M10

2 x Jeeps

Armoured Infantry Platoon

1 x Command base

6 x Rifle/MG bases

3 x Bazooka bases

4 x M3 Halftracks

German Forces

The left over Fallschirmjaegers

Panzer Grenadier Company

Confident Veteran

Coy HQ consisting of 1 x Command base, 1 x 2ic base and 1 x Sd Kfz 251/21 – 2cm

3 Platoons each consisting of:

1 x Command base and Sd Kfz 251/21 – 2cm plus Panzershrecke base

6 x MG bases and 3 x Sd Kfz 251

All bases are armed with Panzerfausts.

Assault Gun Platoon – depleted

One platoon 2 x Stug IIIG

Mortar FOO in Kettankrad – 3 x 81 mm mortars (the mortars were played as being off board)

Armoured support

2 Platoons of medium tanks:

3 x Panther

2 x Panzer IVJ

1 Platoon of heavy tanks

3 x Tiger

[ March 12, 2005, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Halberdiers ]

Well somebody just might smile.gif

The CMBO Carentan operation has stuck firmly in the roots of my CM experience. It'd be fun trying to make a "better" Carentan.

Anybody have a really accurate US OOB for June 11th-13th? I know the units involved but not what shape they were in exactly, i.e. effective strength at that point.

Cheers

Dandelion

Hm.

Takes around 18000 point to recreate the historical US force involved June 8th to 12th. And some 9000 to recreate the German.

And you need a map of minimum 3000 times 6000. 45 000 squares to fill in the CM Map editor.

Cool.

Nobody is going to be able to play it, and God knows if it can be done before the release of the next CM, but I'll do it nonetheless.

smile.gif

Cheers

Dandelion

I know smile.gif Batallion size (all involved Bns being as they were at reduced strength) would make for reasonable size and playability.

But then it'd be just another scenario, and not really the Carentan battle.

I'll see if it's possible. If not, one can always settle for St Come-du-Mont or the Ingouf farmhouse battle or something.

Cheers

Dandelion

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Adam,

I'm about 80% finished. I had the bad judgement of buying and playing Brothers in Arms before finishing. Of course, every attempt at recreating the environment now seems futile and pathetic by comparison. Real killjoy in fact.

On the plus side, you get to control all forces involved. But that "beautiful map" request stings a bit. You know the limitations. Roads won't angle as they are supposed to, bridges won't run at an angle at all and the houses...

Anyway I'll get back to you soon with a finished job.

Regards

Dandelion

You're right, it is time. Though I had always imagined it to be the 12th against the 3rd in the corner of some foreign field, around Norrey or somesuch.

Still, battling it out on a map and in a scenario I created would seem the odds I prefer. smile.gif

The map is completed. Putting together the forces now. No good source on the US forces though, I mean actual condition of the units involved. Will have to improvise some. The US OOB seems bizarre in the game. Rifle companies look a lot like machinegun companies. I get that undefined feeling somebody might have misunderstood something when looking at a OOB?

A bit strange, isn't it, that both forces were actually green at Carentan, though both performed as if they were not.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by Dandelion:

The US OOB seems bizarre in the game. Rifle companies look a lot like machinegun companies. I get that undefined feeling somebody might have misunderstood something when looking at a OOB?

With only 2 squads and no integral BARs, the Airborne platoons got their automatic firepower from the M1919s, essentially 1 per squad, 2 for reserve, or 4 small "MG Squads" if you want all the FP. Remember that the U.S. army called the .30cal Browning a "light" MG. ;) Think of them as slower Panzergrenadier squads.

I believe that by D-Day the TO&E was officially beefed up to 3 squads per platoon with a .30cal per squad. My sources conflict as to whether there was an "official" BAR by this point as well or whether they were simply "acquired" by certain squads.

-dale

Also note that the 1919A6 is not a 1919A4. The former is a bipod weapon with shoulder stock (32 lbs), the latter is a tripod weapon (41 lbs). The US issued the A6 to the airborne. 43.5k were made, compared to 390k of the A4s, but there were only a few divisions of airborne and that number was perfectly adequate to equip them.

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/30cala6.htm

not the same as

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/30cal.htm

The A6s should really be treated as a squad SAW, not a separate team, just like the MG42 in German service.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Also note that the 1919A6 is not a 1919A4. The former is a bipod weapon with shoulder stock (32 lbs), the latter is a tripod weapon (41 lbs). The US issued the A6 to the airborne. 43.5k were made, compared to 390k of the A4s, but there were only a few divisions of airborne and that number was perfectly adequate to equip them.

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/30cala6.htm

not the same as

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/30cal.htm

The A6s should really be treated as a squad SAW, not a separate team, just like the MG42 in German service.

Yup. I forgot to mention the A6. Thanks!

-dale

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dandelion:

The US OOB seems bizarre in the game. Rifle companies look a lot like machinegun companies. I get that undefined feeling somebody might have misunderstood something when looking at a OOB?

With only 2 squads and no integral BARs, the Airborne platoons got their automatic firepower from the M1919s, essentially 1 per squad, 2 for reserve, or 4 small "MG Squads" if you want all the FP. Remember that the U.S. army called the .30cal Browning a "light" MG. ;) Think of them as slower Panzergrenadier squads.

I believe that by D-Day the TO&E was officially beefed up to 3 squads per platoon with a .30cal per squad. My sources conflict as to whether there was an "official" BAR by this point as well or whether they were simply "acquired" by certain squads.

-dale </font>

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Dale

Am I correct in understanding that these machineguns came with extra crews, and were not platoon level weapons issued to the squads as needed?

And thanks to you and Jason for the input.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Actually I think they were not separate crewed weapons - I think that they should almost definitely be treated as the SAW, especially the A6 (the A6 was adopted in 1943 so I leave room for the possibility that the A4 models were trained on and initially TO&Ed to the PIRs, and maybe they were used differently).

I truly don't know if the original TO&E with 2 squads in the platoon and 4 MGs per platoon meant 2 MGs per squad a la the German panzergrenadiers, or whether it was one MG per squad as the 1944+ TO&E seems to indicate and 2 MGs held by the platoon commander. I'd bet that it was 2 per squad at first, with each squad running as 2 LMG sections.

I assume this wasn't done in CM:BO or CM:AK because either

a) I'm dead wrong and it wasn't the SAW in any capacity (remember that from me, a lot of this is speculation - I'm only a "grog-light"), or

B) there was an issue with movement rates between the .30cal and the squads.

-dale