Request for info on Australian action at Giarabub

Hans

Looking for a detailed OOB and diagram/map of this action against a fortress/oasis in Libya by the Australian 6th Divisional Cavalry and I think the 2/9th Battalion (Queensland?) March 19-22, 1941

I have detailed info on the Italians but was wondering if anyone might have the following book:

The book written by Colonel Castagna, Giarabub's commander, - La Difesa Di Giarabub - includes a few quite detailed maps of the Giarabub area, defensive works and units' placement for March 1941.

On another thread you requested a look at a scenario in a different game as an info source on this. I don't have the book you want, and don't know what it is you need from a scenario - and I don't know if I have that scenario either (lol).

I have the game, but no idea what you want or expect from your minimalist posts. What information is it that you require, and is it readily available to anyone with West Front?

Hans,

Search for "Giarabub" under "collections search" and WWII under "conflict"

AWM

This will return three pages of photos of the surrounding area and aftermath of this battle. On page 2 you will find an aerial recon photo of the entire area.

The units which took part in this action were:

18th Inf Regiment, or more specifically,

2/9 Infantry Batallion

to which was attached from 2/10 Infantry Batallion:

Bn. Mortar platoon (Lt. Porter)

Bn. A.A platoon (Lt. Fisher)

1 Sec MMG (vickers I think) (Cap Schmedje)

ALSO

6th Division Cavalry Regiment which I think was somewhat lacking in tanks, and may have been using some captured gear (French?).

AND

1 Battery 4th Royal Horse Artillery.

Sadly, the 2/9 Battalion war diary for MARCH is not available online, or I could give you much more info. Search the war diaries on the AWM site for yourself and you might find some good info. There are maps concealed in some of the pdf files, but you gotta look.

I seem to answer every request for australian info from you with a link to the AWM website. Perhaps you should look there for yourself.

Originally posted by JasonC:

On another thread you requested a look at a scenario in a different game as an info source on this. I don't have the book you want, and don't know what it is you need from a scenario - and I don't know if I have that scenario either (lol).

I have the game, but no idea what you want or expect from your minimalist posts. What information is it that you require, and is it readily available to anyone with West Front?

Jason

Thanks for the reply please email me at Wayne100@emirates.net.ae with CMAK in the subject line and I will explain all. I have the West Front scenario in question and will send it to you.

Hans