French troops in Calais May 23, 1940

Grog question

Their seemed to have been elements of the French 21st Infantry Division in Calais and the various fortress troops.

Does anyone have an accounting of what might have been there in the way of French forces? I have a good handle on the British forces but cannot seem to pin down the French?

Sources or information?

Hans

Hi Holien

I'm near completed the Small Battles, 3RTR at Calais, 1940 scenario and am working on two others, Small Battles, Les Attaques, 1940 and Small Battles, Row at Coulogne, 1940.

What are you researching?

3 RTR should be out in a few days-depending on playtesters motivation and speed!

Hi Hans,

I have a small history book (Will tell you name when I get home from work).

This details the actions in and around Calais.

Myself and two mates are doing a long weekend tour of some of the battle sites in Europe. Both WWII and WWI.

We will be spending a day checking out some of the Calais sites.

Also we will be based in the Ieper area so if you have anything you want checking out please let me know. I will be taking a Digi Camera and can provide photo's if I am given specifics.

As for my design aims I had thought of doing something based upon the last ditch stand in the streets of Calais. In particular the battle over the bridges into the central area of Calais.

The other area was the action with the 3RTR and that might be covered by your work.

I have had sod all chance to play any games for well over three months now and until the ROW is over I guess I won't get any time until July.

I look forward to playing some of your designs.

H

Have a good trip. In cookseys book in the back he has recommended tours of the Calais battlefield.

I won't be doing the inner city battles so it would be good if you could cover those interesting actions.

Yes the 3RTR action will be taken care of.

If you can get to Verdun it's excellent and the military museum in Brussels has a load of armour.

Hi Holien

Just had the first playtester report in on the 3RTR, from the Brit side. No major difficulties reported hwoever this person doesn't actually know anything about the actual fight. Would you care to play test it yourself? Since you know about the action your input would be very, very welcome.

Hi Hans,

I will be able to playtest it but not until July.

I am really tied for time at the moment and heading off to Normandy soon.

If you wanted to send it to me via E-mail I shall then action it as soon as time allows.

I sometimes wish I could have multiple copies of me so I could do all the things I want to do...

smile.gif

Cheers

H

Thank Holien

But unfortunately I need to finish it up before I disappear on vacation during the summer. Eighteen days and seven scenarios to complete. It'll be up at the Depot so take a look. We can always update!

We might coordinate and see if we can put the three scenarios I will do and if you do the inner city fighting, into a small step by step campaign, ie fight battle X, if you lose go to battle Y if you win go to battle Z and if its a draw-refight, etc.

Sorry about lack of time...

As for the idea of a mini campaign that would be a good idea.

I bought at a wargame fair some booklets which have scenario design ideas for minatures.

I was going to see how they translated for the CM games.

More on that when I work out how to make copies of myself...

H