STG44?

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as51-e.htm

Final version appeared under the designation of Mp-44 (MachinenPistole 1944), and then Hitler finally approved it, but the new gun received also a new designation - SturmGevehr-44, which stands for no more than "Assult Rifle" in german language. This was pure act of propaganda, but the name stuck not only to that gun, but to the whole new class of automatic weapons, designed to fire intermediate cartridges.

hehe... I guess I should dust off my much expensive book that details the history of this weapon before responding :D Been a while since I've gone through all this, but don't have time to brush up on it now.

The MP44 does appear to be the one that was produced and fielded in the most numbers. My book has detailed production figures in it somewhere, so I'm just going from memory. Many of the late war weapons production (MG42, Panzerfaust, etc.) never made it to the field thanks to the destroyed infrastructure and general chaos.

Steve

I have the numbers easily reachable via Buchners book. According to the Heereswaffenamt records, which he uses, there were issued (to the army):

- 53 833 Mkb42 and 43 (All four types)

- 79 501 MP43 and MP43/1 (though some 19 000 of these were merely renamed Mkb43(H))

- 346 476 MP44 (only from december 1944 and on called Stg 44, or Stgw 44).

Cheerio

Dandelion