* Rural Italian Building Mod WIP *

It's my first building mod! :eek: I decided to make something that was more representative of the rural buildings found in central and northern Italy. While the original CMAK art looks good in an town or city setting, I think the tall buildings look a little funny in a rural or small village environment. The building mod was built "from scratch" using photos of farmhouses from Umbria and Tuscany as models.

I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not, especially when I look at the stuff Juju, MikeyD, and Tanks are doing. It does look way better in game. One of the things I'm wrestling with is what I call the "CM 3D Problem" (duh), where showing building features in a 3D/trompe l'oeil manner only really works from one viewing angle. I drew every element as if viewed straight-on so they look relatively decent from almost any angle. I don't know if this is the best way to go or not.

farmhouse.jpg

Anybody see any use for this? Should I keep working on them? If so I'll make two more buildings appropriate for the setting, as well as the necessary damaged and winter versions.

Building mods are always appreciated, often neglected because they are so difficult. I think the OSF buildings have popped up on more screens than Eichenbaum intended. Patboy even modded the mod.

Wacko's like me will always try to depict somewhere, sometime, not intended by BFC. The light colour stone with shutters is a nice change from the pastel stucco of CMAK and the dark colours of CMBB.

Keep going.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Building mods are always appreciated, often neglected because they are so difficult. I think the OSF buildings have popped up on more screens than Eichenbaum intended. Patboy even modded the mod.

Wacko's like me will always try to depict somewhere, sometime, not intended by BFC. The light colour stone with shutters is a nice change from the pastel stucco of CMAK and the dark colours of CMBB.

Keep going.

This one hasn't been too tough, at least not yet. smile.gif I think I put about 2 1/2 hours into it so far, so that's not to bad. I might change my mind when I start "damaging" the thing.

I think I'll make a stucco farmhouse and another stone one, and maybe tackle an Italian Romanesque church, so stay tuned for more previews.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, especially since I'm still adding detail to this first building.

As the Europeans colonised the world and took their style with them, I find the CMAK Italian buildings acceptable for most theatres outside of CM. As in SE Asia and Polynesia. But when something like Sealion comes along, I have to search for photos to see what kind of rocks are native to the area. As good as OSF buildings are they would be out of place in an area of dark rock. Same with churches. Ed's dark stone churches don't fit with PTO, but Spanish, Italian style do.

For me, the more mods, the more I can think of. If you have run out of things to mod, time to move on to buildings. Or take requests, lol

Hi Andrew

I'm very happy that you have some interrest to mod buildings, for your first try, I think is good.

I suggest you take inspiration from the OSF mod, I dont know who made this building mod, but it's my opinion, it's the best I've seen in the game since the beginning of CM ; shade, deep perspective, give to this mod a great look in game.

I'm trying to mod some buildings, you can see them at cmmod data base behind the 251/9 second version.

Tell me what do you think about ? There are not yet uploaded. Friendly Pat.

Originally posted by patboy:

Hi Andrew

I'm very happy that you have some interrest to mod buildings, for your first try, I think is good.

I suggest you take inspiration from the OSF mod, I dont know who made this building mod, but it's my opinion, it's the best I've seen in the game since the beginning of CM ; shade, deep perspective, give to this mod a great look in game.

I'm trying to mod some buildings, you can see them at cmmod data base behind the 251/9 second version.

Tell me what do you think about ? There are not yet uploaded. Friendly Pat.

i like them, Pat. smile.gif Are they adaptations of the OSF buildings? I've looked at those for CMBB. They're pretty nice, although I have a problem with some of the perspective tricks used. They look amazing from the proper angle but bizarre from others. I'm trying to eliminate that in this mod. It's a comprimise.

I'll post more WIP pix as I progress.

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

although I have a problem with some of the perspective tricks used. They look amazing from the proper angle but bizarre from others.

It's a win some, lose some situation, I guess. It's certainly a way to add 'life' to a building. That, and a bit of artist's licence, of course. Personally I think the 'win' outweighs the 'lose.' In the end we're still only modding a simple box.

I'm looking forward to what you can do with a couple more hours of work. I know what took you only 2.5 hours would have taken me at least two to three days!

Originally posted by Sequoia:

Is the 150mm at CMMOD's. I sure don't see it. Am I losing it?

Hijack away, I don't mind smile.gif

The 150mm, in CMAK and CMBB version is ready, except I can't find which BMPs control the textures for the top of the breach block and the breach itself. I'll keep looking. I have new textures for them in the mod folder on my HD, but obviously something's wrong since they're not showing up in the game. If someone with a lot of time on his hand wants to take a look through the BMP folder for them that would be a big help.

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

Hi Andrew

Rear block for all german field guns : 3378

Filler for rear gun shields on all german Flak guns, and top of german gun blocks : 4000

150mm Inf. gun : 4270-4279

this for CMBO, CMBB grey paint sheme and CMAK desert paint sheme.

You add 10 before numbers for CMBB yellow paint sheme and same for CMAK Italy scenarios.

Pat.