Question on German Corps level artillery organization

Hans

German artillery Grogs

What type of organization did the Germans use on the Italian front for their heavy artillery? Was it attached directly to Divisions or formed into regiments/brigades and under control of the Corps?

This is for what the Americans would call the GSR and Reinforcing role.

I'm trying to determine what types of headquarters would be controlling the 170 and 240mm guns.

Thanks

Or ARKO, Artillerie Kommandeur.

170 and 240 would normally be in independent Abteilungen (part of the Heerestruppen I think), and attached to a Korps, not a division, for tactical control. This could change depending on specific circumstances, but the standard setup saw them as part of the Korps.

Hans,

I HIGHLY suggest getting a copy of George F. Nafziger's "The German Order of Battle: Panzers and Artillery in World War II". It's a large, hard-covered volume, about 450 pages in length. It covers detailed organizational questions down to the level of individual guns and vehicles. There are several chapters devoted to artillery. If you're serious about your question, you will be very satisfied with this book. It is far too detailed for me to attempt to glean the info for you. Nafziger has a web-site, plus Amazon, and possibly Barnes & Noble, also sell his books.

Regards,

Ken