CMAK Fog and Dust oddness

Still loving the game, but have been playing QBs and have noticed:

A) Fog is very common on random weather settings in the desert, I'm guessing that the only settings it can randomise from are fog and clear. It means you will see a lot of fog in the desert with the random weather option.

B) I have just finished a fog bound game where visibility from my defending units was restricted to 200m. However I could see dust clouds being raised from approaching enemy AFVs way beyond the limit of fog induced visibility, sometimes 1000m and right to the opposite map edge when there was enemy movement.

I was just messing about against the AI and wasn't inclined take advantage with by shelling it or repositioning, but if I was attacking in fog against another player then I would be at a major disadvantage if I thought that I was sneakily moving up while staying cloaked by the fog.

Just a cautionairy tale, it is probably best to avoid fog settings unless a patch can resolve it.

I have it on good authority that the African yellow fog is supposed to represent those dreaded Sahara sandstorms. Check to see what the wind setting for your scenario is, I bet the wind's howling!

Peeople have already commented on those tell-tale dust clouds, though this is the first I've heard of spotting them during sandstorms. I'm going to have to check that out!

The frequency of the fog isn't really the issue, just something I've noticed. However if it really was supposed to be a sandstorm then from what I've read no-one will be moving let alone fighting smile.gif

I still can't think of any reason why we should be able to see dust clouds through whatever kind of fog it is supposed to be. Am I missing something obvious?

So if you want to play with fog on the desert, you should set ground conditions to dry rather than very dry?

It means that Fog and Very Dry (or even Dry?) shouldn't appear together as parameters when conditions are set to random in a QB. I guess....

Fog contains moisture. Sounds like a tweak to the QB generator is required.

[ December 03, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

I the way weather effects are set up what is milky-white fog in the Italian theater is sandstorm in the African theater (though I believe its always listed as 'fog' in parameters). I don't think you can get a milky-white fog in African, just the yellowish sandstorm color, even if you do a fog + rain combo!

I suspect the only difference is how we imagine the scene. Tactically, fog and sandstorm may act identically.

[ December 04, 2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by PeterX:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> So if you want to play with fog on the desert, you should set ground conditions to dry rather than very dry?

It means that Fog and Very Dry (or even Dry?) shouldn't appear together as parameters when conditions are set to random in a QB. I guess....

Fog contains moisture. Sounds like a tweak to the QB generator is required. </font>

The FOG in the African regions is not humidity/condensation fog like you get in Europe but rather very fine sand particles that are in the lower atmosphere, normally occuring in the morning. It's effect in the game is bascially equivalenet to the normal "Fog".

As to the sand and dirt from moving vehicles, if the conditions are right for dust clouds to appear, you will be able to see then in the game, regardless of where they occur. That is a limitation of the game code unfortunately but in most situations it is very close to how it was in reality where clouds of dust from vehicles could be spotted many miles away.

The same thing occurs with smoke, but no one ever seemed to notice.

Madmatt