Dutch help needed for Waalhaven

Hans

I have the official staffmap of the area but thats of today.

Email me if you want it.

I can however give you a link to the site which has all the data about the weather since 1800.

go to www.knmi.nl and you can find the weather of the day you want to know.

Check the link WEERHISTORIE and the link DATAWEERGEGEVENS.

Henk

Hans,

I got a map from an Atlas, from '39, that shows the Rotterdam harbor at scale 1/40.000. That shows less detail then your map, but gives some additional terrain. If it is any help I can scan it.

If needed I could ask at the university library what they have,and if it is scannable.

Bertram

Hans,

I made a mistake. I got two scans for you. One is a 1/32.500 scale map of the Rotterdam harbor. It gives an idea of the surrounding area, but unfortunatly the Waalhaven was only dug half then.

The other is not from 1939, but from 1950. The scale is 1/40.000. Major difference in build up is that there is a tunnel planned, and the whole Waalhaven is dug.

The 1923 map is cut of about halfway the Waalhaven, dropping the to-be-dug south half. The other is cut off just under the Waalhaven. So the area with troops (at least I think those ovals on your map are troops??) is only partly displayed.

I can mail the scans. I have them as .rtf 's, at 1200 dpi resolution. That gives a nice picture, but the sizes are 10 Mb and 12 Mb resp. Can your mailbox handle that?

The university library only had the catalog of the Rotterdam municipal archives, and was mainly focused on technical drawings (partly of the build up area's and the harbors) I'll keep looking, but I might have to contact the Rotterdam municipal archive directly. Haven't looked into the Royal Marines (Dutch version) archives yet.

Bertram

edited to add: the alternative is a 200 resp. 300 dpi half compressed .jpeg of 450 kb or 1 Mb. I'll send you the 300 dpi jpeg of 1950, guessing that your provide can handle that.

[ March 17, 2004, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Bertram ]

Many thanks Bertram

Could you do me a large favor? The original of the map I first posted above comes from the book

Molenaar, F.J. De luchtverdediging mei 1940. (2 delen) , Den Haag, 1970.

If you have access to it in a Dutch library I'd dearly appreciate it being scanned and sent.

For this noble deed you will receive many thanks, a mention in the scenario as a source and another scenario built to your request.

Hans email wayne100@emirates.net.ae