Question for the Tank Grogs

Hans

That's a rough one, because all the allied 37mm or 40mm guns in CMAK beat the short 37mm and 47mm guns used by the French.

I'll try though:

For the Char B: The M3 Lee, because it's armor isn't any thicker than 51mm, and the Char had a max of 60mm --- this makes the Churchill I too heavy, BTW.

For the Somua: The Crusader II. The Somua had 50mm in the turret, and 40mm in the hull, with a 47mm gun. The Crusader is a little light and fast, but the next choice (the Val I or II), has too much armor.

For the Hotchkiss H39: That's a hard one. The Allies don't really have any 2-man tanks with wimpy guns. Though, I suppose you might try the American M8 HMC, and give it a small load-out of HE only.

There is a French tank(s?) in CMBB but unfortunately it's on the German side. It might be stretching things a bit more than one ought to play Germans in captured French tanks vs Russians in captured German tanks and make believe its the Belgian countryside! :D;)

BFC did say some years back that an early war Blitz game (Poland, France, Norway) was part of their 5-year plan for CM. I don't know if the fancy new game engine and popular clamour for a Cold War version is making them have second thoughts in that regard.

Maybe the mobility issues can be mitigated to an extent by judicious use of terrain for the maps involved. Rocky terrain tiles slow AFV's down quite a bit, as does soft ground, and mud when setting ground conditions.

This would adversley affect all tanks, however the Panzers *should* retain a mobility advantage over the A15 and M8 due to lower ground pressure. I say *should* because I cannot remeber the exact values off the top of my head. :D

On a side note, I wish you the best of luck and look forward to trying out the end result of your efforts.