Ski troops & types of movement

I've searched the manual high & low but can't find any reference to ski troops and their advantages over normal troops. Obviously they should be able to traverse snow terrain better than non ski troops but aren't there some sort of restrictions to which movement orders they can use?

I'm guessing that they can only use the move and move to contact commands to be able to retain the ski's. Does someone know for sure whether this is the case or not? If they could use the fast move command while still skiing they should be bloody fast compared with normal troops in snow.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

CMBB?

Using the "Move" command they are faster, if you "Fast" or "Fire" they take their skies off. At least if they fire, not sure about the Fast Move part...

Not just CMBB. You can get ski troops for the Germans in Italy. Another thing came to mind, can ski troops be transported in halftracks (say) and still retain their ski's when the dismount?

Regards

Jim R.

I'll try a less flippant answer this time. I'm glad you have a sense of humor.

I just spent some time looking through my CMBB manual and didn't really see anything about ski troops in it. That was the first game in which they were introduced. I do recall reading a fair bit about them early on, since lots of people were trying to figure out how they worked.

What I'm sure of: Skis help mobility in snow and especially deep snow for the Move, Move to Contact and Fast commands. I think it really speeds them up moving Fast downhill, but that could be my imagination.

Advance, Assault, Sneak and entering buildings causes skis to be removed (and permanently lost). Embarking on vehicles also causes a loss of skis, but I would expect that under snow conditions there wouldn't really be any big benefit to embarking.

Getting pinned causes a loss of skis as well.

I'm not certain, but I believe that entering a trench and giving the Hide command will cause skis to be lost as well.

If you want more details or less uncertainty, then you could head over to the CMBB forum and search for posts on the topic of ski troops.