HTML Files and PBEM

I'm not sure if I'm just an idiot, or others have ran into this problem or not. When my opponent sends me a PBEM turn it comes as an HTML file. When I download it and attempt to play it from the CB Multiplayer screen all I get is a little windows ding and nothing happens (except the file selection window goes away).

I'm updated to 1.03, and when I get a zipped file (which is notepad or wordpad) I have no problem.

Anyone else come across this problem, or know what I need to do on my end to fix it...or will my opponent always have to send zipped files?

Well, looks like the PBEM Help thing didn't fix the problem...thanks for the help though. I suppose I'll just have to force my opponents to zip the files before sending them, and I'll have to do the same.

I remember the days when everyone zipped their files. Guess we all got lazy.

Pbem helper has an automatic zipping feature built in. Just set the preference for that game to use .zip instead of "as is" and it will zip it and then mail it.

Alternatively, if both you and your opponent use Pbem Helper, you can set it to use the propriety ".pbm" format meaning that all you have to do is double click on the attachment and pbem helper will launch and load the turn in one gesture - or you could have it load your turn automatically upon arrival. Some neat features inside of that program.

And yes, CM should have Pbem Helper built in. smile.gif

Helper is the mutts nuts in CM add-ons. The auto-filing of old turns into folders is just one great little help then there is:

-record of when you last sent a turn

-keeps the e-mail addresses

-keeps your password for each game ready

-you can string a series of movies together for a quick review of the battle

and incidentally, if you know your opponent and you both use it, you can go to trusted mode where each e-mail will contain two movies and two order phases.

Apparently a minor benefit but I can play 60 turn games in a fortnight with little stress. And in big battles the quality of your play improves as you are seeing the whole picture every time you plot.

Of course other than that it is a waste of space and requires some extra learning - of course you will be saving minutes everytime you use it but hey the learning curve!!!

Incidentally if you do an archive search it is written up in a couple of places and two user guides are available : )