New (to me) Books

civdiv

Originally posted by civdiv:

Just picked up a couple of books from the library that are new to me;

'With the Jocks' by Peter White

of

'No Holding Back' by Brian Reid

Any thoughts on them?

As KF points out, No Holding Back is excellent - see the reviews at Amazon.com, I put some detailed thoughts there, and at my website at www.canadiansoldiers.com (which for some reason is down right now, but a search for No Holding Back should find you the page once my site is up and running). No Holding Back has an appendix on the death of Wittman that was discussed on this forum - Mr. Reid actually registered at BFC and added his two cents to the topic also.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by civdiv:

of

Any thoughts on them?

As KF points out, No Holding Back is excellent - see the reviews at Amazon.com, I put some detailed thoughts there, and at my website at www.canadiansoldiers.com (which for some reason is down right now, but a search for No Holding Back should find you the page once my site is up and running). No Holding Back has an appendix on the death of Wittman that was discussed on this forum - Mr. Reid actually registered at BFC and added his two cents to the topic also. </font>

I've read Thunder Run, it's pretty good. The part that pissed me off is the list of medals awarded at the back of the book. Officer medal giveaway. A friend of mine's actions in the book are described in detail. He continually exposed himself to fire on the ground and didn't get squat, while a bunch of officers, some of whom never left the COC, got silver and bronze stars. Look at the list of awards and who got what. Positively criminal.

I think that is the way it always works though. If you are an officer you get a medal for being there, if you are enlisted you have to lose a limb or two most of the time.

Those other books I checked out on amazon and they have good reviews. I think I'll pick them up as well. Always looking for a good read.

Originally posted by kawaiku:

BTW since we are on the subject of books, has anyone read this one? Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674024397/ref=olp_product_details/103-3583764-5175826?ie=UTF8&seller=

Just stumbled upon this and wondered if any of you guys have read it or heard about it?

I've read it and enjoyed it. I don't have depth of knowledge on Dunkirk to evaluate it against.

The lack of even 2pdr AT guns was something I hadn't realised before. Not many formations had 2pdrs, some had the French 25mm At guns, and some had literally no AT weaponry at all, baring maybe some AT rifles. Just how a Brit formation was supposed to hold in the face of German armour without any At weaponry defies belief....evoked the terror the solider must have felt well. All the absolute chaos of war is conveyed in very frank accounts.

Notwithstanding my recommendation, the author does have an annoying tendency to:

1. Over-analyse things and the possible reasons for them to beyond breaking point;

2. Do the same with what people should have done...x should have done this, and then possibly y could have done that, etc etc; and

3. Be more than a little unfair to the French. For example, he would rightly castigate the demoralised French rabble for their lack of fighting spirit but later, when Brit formations want to withdraw but firebrand French commanders are objecting, he will drag up all sorts of justifications for the sensible Brits doing so and in fact castigate the French commanders for being unrealistic and just plain mean; listing all sorts of factors the French commander "should have known" or should have taken into account eg that the Brit soldiers were very tired and had been in action for days, etc etc, as if this was any different for either side. It tickled my hypocrisy meter. He does redress it a little toward the end with his description of Alexander walking out on the French and leaving them well and truly shafted.

As long as you can bear this in mind, and it doesn't happen too often, it's a good read and goes into exhaustive detail. Can be difficult to follow on the maps as the author will refer to placenames that aren't shown.

Recommended, say 4 stars of 5. Maybe 3.5.

Originally posted by McIvan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kawaiku:

BTW since we are on the subject of books, has anyone read this one? Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674024397/ref=olp_product_details/103-3583764-5175826?ie=UTF8&seller=

Just stumbled upon this and wondered if any of you guys have read it or heard about it?

I've read it and enjoyed it. I don't have depth of knowledge on Dunkirk to evaluate it against.

The lack of even 2pdr AT guns was something I hadn't realised before. Not many formations had 2pdrs, some had the French 25mm At guns, and some had literally no AT weaponry at all, baring maybe some AT rifles. Just how a Brit formation was supposed to hold in the face of German armour without any At weaponry defies belief....evoked the terror the solider must have felt well. All the absolute chaos of war is conveyed in very frank accounts.

Notwithstanding my recommendation, the author does have an annoying tendency to:

1. Over-analyse things and the possible reasons for them to beyond breaking point;

2. Do the same with what people should have done...x should have done this, and then possibly y could have done that, etc etc; and

3. Be more than a little unfair to the French. For example, he would rightly castigate the demoralised French rabble for their lack of fighting spirit but later, when Brit formations want to withdraw but firebrand French commanders are objecting, he will drag up all sorts of justifications for the sensible Brits doing so and in fact castigate the French commanders for being unrealistic and just plain mean; listing all sorts of factors the French commander "should have known" or should have taken into account eg that the Brit soldiers were very tired and had been in action for days, etc etc, as if this was any different for either side. It tickled my hypocrisy meter. He does redress it a little toward the end with his description of Alexander walking out on the French and leaving them well and truly shafted.

As long as you can bear this in mind, and it doesn't happen too often, it's a good read and goes into exhaustive detail. Can be difficult to follow on the maps as the author will refer to placenames that aren't shown.

Recommended, say 4 stars of 5. Maybe 3.5. </font>

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had my eye on that book for a while (although funds are a little tight at the momment and ive already got a pile of books to read through), great review!

I think ill have to grab it once i get the chance.

A book i would recommend are the offical histories. From all the sources ive read over the years (i was really fasinated by the desert war as a kid) i thought i knew quite a bit on the subject (although i would have to refresh to face a pop quiz lol) and this book has thrown all sorts of information my way.

examples would be, New Zealand troops which were rerouted to the UK before they got to N.Africa.

The RAF using Gloster Gladiators when i would have presumed Hurricanes etc etc etc

Thats just volume I, ive just bought the 2nd volume and the III and IV will be bought before the years out so i cover the entire campaign in North Africa, East Africa, Crete, Greece and the Middle East!

Originally posted by civdiv:

of

Any thoughts on them?

I enjoyed "No Holding Back" that was recommended by Grog Dorosh. (Thanks for that...)

I just got "With the Jocks" (based on your question at the start of thread) and am enjoying it very much. Thanks for the heads-up on that!

Cheers,

Ken