Looking for info on Belgian para TO&E

Kingfish

Guess you're referring to the operations Red Dragon (Stanleyville) and Black Dragon (Paulis).

You can find some interesting information here

including battle command structure.

Regarding equipment, I have not all information at hand, but one of my collegues served 30 years ago as a reserve officer with a paracommando unit. I wil check with him on monday. In the meantime, I found these pics on a museum site:

Scroll down and look at "tenue" after 1960 (après 1960)

Note the vigneron machine gun. I recall using it on a firing range. It uses 9mm ammo and has a tricky safety pal. I guess other standard equipment, was the national proud FN FAL and FALO.

The staff cie. had a 60 mm mortar section.

Although the humanitarian side of the operation (rescueing the Europeans) was quite a succes, the aftermath resulted in some questionable mopping up actions. The fact that a lot of mercenaries were taking part, didn't help to convince the world, that there were no other interests involved.

Originally posted by McAuliffe:

Guess you're referring to the operations Red Dragon (Stanleyville) and Black Dragon (Paulis).

You are correct. It was that report that inspired me to do a scenario on Dragon Rouge. I have the map of Stanleyville already done, and just need a basic idea of the Para's squad structure to finish it.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by McAuliffe:

You are correct. It was that report that inspired me to do a scenario on Dragon Rouge. I have the map of Stanleyville already done, and just need a basic idea of the Para's squad structure to finish it. </font>