Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Need Information on Crucifix Hill at Aachen

Does anyone have any maps or information on the action that took place on 8 October 1944 when the 1st Infantry Division took Crucifix Hill northeast of Aachen. I need to know what German units were there and any maps or information on the defensive positions.

Thanks.

Panther Commander

I believe that elements of the 1st SS Panzer Corps were sent to Aachen to bolster General Koechling's LXXXI Corps. These elements consisted of the 116th Panzer ("Greyhound") Division and the 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. The garrison, commanded by Colonel Gerhard Wilck, included part of the 246th Volksgrenadier Division and an assortment of static-defense forces, including policemen and Luftwaffe ground personnel. There may have been other forces involved; I'm sure a Google search would turn up some more info.

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

I believe that elements of the 1st SS Panzer Corps were sent to Aachen to bolster General Koechling's LXXXI Corps. These elements consisted of the 116th Panzer ("Greyhound") Division and the 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. The garrison, commanded by Colonel Gerhard Wilck, included part of the 246th Volksgrenadier Division and an assortment of static-defense forces, including policemen and Luftwaffe ground personnel. There may have been other forces involved; I'm sure a Google search would turn up some more info.

I believe the defenders were part of the 246th Infantry Division. But am not sure. I am not sure of the exact location of Crucifix Hill or Ravels Hill either. Supposedly the main road ran between them. But I am not sure of the lay of the land or on which side of the road either hill is on.

I have done google searchs and am still in the process of continuing the search.

Thanks for your quick response.

Panther Commander

I thought it was the 246th Volksgrenadier Division, not a regular infantry formation? HERE'S a site that I came across, it bears out what I posted earlier. It describes the battle for Aachen in fairly good detail, including some basic maps. Hope the info helps ... are you creating a new scenario? If so, I'd be most interested in seeing the results!

HERE'S a site that I came across

"Volksgrenadier divisions, which first appeared in the German order of battle in the autumn of 1944, were hastily constituted formations composed largely of survivors from other divisions wrecked in battle."

As I understand it, the descriptor "Volksgrenadier" was originally awarded to units that had distinguished themselves in battle, although the term later lost it's significance. If that's the case the 246th may have actually won the title for it's defence of Aachen.

I thought it was the 246th Volksgrenadier Division, not a regular infantry formation? HERE'S a site that I came across, it bears out what I posted earlier. It describes the battle for Aachen in fairly good detail, including some basic maps. Hope the info helps ... are you creating a new scenario? If so, I'd be most interested in seeing the results!

You are right the 246th was a VG Division.

The up coming scenario is about the fight for Crucifix Hill where Cpt. Brown won the CMOH.

It is a series of scenarios that HSG does on the actions of the winners of the highest awards for valor by all coutries in WWII. The CMOH, HotSU, KC and VC.

Crucifix HIll has been hard to locate so far.

Panther Commander

You might try looking at the official US Army History of WWII--I forget the name of the series but it was in a green binding and ran more than 20 volumes and would no doubt have a detailed account of the battle for Aachen. The series can usually be found in most college and university libraries. There are generally good maps and detailed accounts of battalion level actions. If you know what US regiments were involved, you might also see if a regimental history covers the events.

There was a good account of aspects of the Aachen battle in Doubler's "Closing with the Enemy" though I can't recall if it covered the action you're interested in.

I'm guessing Crucifix Hill was one of those names applied by US soldiers at the time and therefore not on official maps? Anyway, as the scenario develops I'd be interested in seeing it.

[ May 02, 2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

You might try looking at the official US Army History of WWII--I forget the name of the series but it was in a green binding and ran more than 20 volumes and would no doubt have a detailed account of the battle for Aachen. The series can usually be found in most college and university libraries. There are generally good maps and detailed accounts of battalion level actions. If you know what US regiments were involved, you might also see if a regimental history covers the events.

There was a good account of aspects of the Aachen battle in Doubler's "Closing with the Enemy" though I can't recall if it covered the action you're interested in.

I'm guessing Crucifix Hill was one of those names applied by US soldiers at the time and therefore not on official maps? Anyway, as the scenario develops I'd be interested in seeing it.

The battle is all over the internet but no maps. The map of the battle or even just where the hill sits between Verlautenheide and Aachen would be good. There is very little room between them so for two hills to be there should be a pretty easy problem to figure out.

There was a huge cross on top of the hill. I don't know if the Germans - Americans or both called it Crucifix Hill but the Americans did for sure or we wouldn't know the name now.

I'll let everybody know when I post it to The Proving Grounds for playtesting and you can get involved then.

I currently have my first scenario covering the Medal of Honor winners at The Proving Grounds now, if you are interested.

It is HSG MOH Lt. Beaudoin.

You can get to the Proving Grounds here:

http://the-proving-grounds.com/index.html

I bought the US Combat Units Official Records on CD a few years back. I believe all the campaign text is in there. I have yet to find any maps though and they would be very helpful. All I need is that one map for the opening attack by 1st Infantry Division on 8 October. The attacking unit is Company C, 18th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. Not sure what the battalion is at the moment. I can look that up though without too much problem.

Thanks for all the responses.

Panther Commander

Panther Commander

Here is the OOB for the 246. VGD:

246. VGD at Lexikon der Wehrmacht

No further info on that at the moment, and I doubt I have anything at home.

As I understand it, the descriptor "Volksgrenadier" was originally awarded to units that had distinguished themselves in battle, although the term later lost it's significance. If that's the case the 246th may have actually won the title for it's defence of Aachen.
Originally that maybe correct, but not in the case of the 246.VGD. As the link shows, it was originally the 565.VGD, but this was renamed after the destroyed 246.ID. It probably received the survivors of the 246.ID as well. So it became the 246.VGD before entering the line at Aachen.

At the same time, 12.VGD entered the battle near Aachen and in the Huertgen, and that had originally been the 12.ID, but was rebuilt on the VGD establishment (in theory).

At this point, all new divisions established for the defense of the Reich were named Volksgrenadier, AFAIK, so any special meaning attached to this name had gone.

For scenario purposes, the 246.VGD would most likely be considered green, with the odd veteran/regular HQ or squad thrown in, and most likely very little in terms of heavy weapons support.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Here is the OOB for the 246. VGD:

246. VGD at Lexikon der Wehrmacht

No further info on that at the moment, and I doubt I have anything at home.

It probably received the survivors of the 246.ID as well. So it became the 246.VGD before entering the line at Aachen.

For scenario purposes, the 246.VGD would most likely be considered green, with the odd veteran/regular HQ or squad thrown in, and most likely very little in terms of heavy weapons support.

Yes, I had seen where the 246th was destroyed in Russia and rebuilt. I agree with your assessment of their combat capabilities. I believe that they were rebuilt and then rushed to Aachen.

My biggest problem at the moment, is a map of the area, or any idea of where hill 239 is.

Panther Commander

PC, did you know that another fellow created a Crucifix Hill scenario, apparently for CMBO? Check out this LINK. Maybe the author can furnish you with the details you need. Unless you're that author :D

I am not the author of that scenario. I never made any scenarios for CMBO.

I will try contacting him and hope he has some information.

Thanks.

Panther Commander

Originally posted by JonS:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/brochures/rhineland/rhineland.htm

Also, you might try Doubler "Closing with the enemy". IIRC, the chapter on street fighting uses Aachen as a case study.

*checks at amazon*

Yes, he does.

Regards

Jon

Thanks Jon. This particular fight takes place outside Aachen. It was an assault on one of the hills ringing the city.

I checked the web site you linked to. That is a good one. I have used it before. There are many good websites on this subject and I have very good textual support for the fight. I just don't have a battle map.

Thanks to all who have commented and are continuing to try to supply my map needs.

Panther Commander