Lap top question

If you disable sound (within CM) do you still have a lockup problem ? Do you have any CMOS/BIOS and control panel settings for power savings disabled (don't disable ACPI or APM, just any hard-coded timeouts for the hard drive, video, etc.) ? If the CPU is set to cycle down, this may cause a problem with CM.

Which particular model of Dell do you have and what video chip is in it ? Do you know if you have the latest driver or not ? Do you know what version of DirectX you have (WinME comes with DirectX 7.0/7.1) ?

If you perform a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at the programs listed, do you have much more than Explorer and Systray (some may be anti-virus, utilities, printer drivers, etc.) ?

Does anyone out there paly CM on their Lap Top?
I have a dell inspiron 8000, Windows ME, 800mhz pIII, 64MB video card, and 256MB ram and I have no problems running CMBO, even with other programs open. It even ran fine when I only had 128MB ram.

I have an HP Pavilion 950 Athlon 4, 256 RAM, and my heavily modded copy of CM runs fine on it, except for some mouse funkiness. As mentioned in another user's thread, my Memorex cordless optical mouse has problems in the scenario selection window and in the QB creator. My laptop's mouse pad works fine, and the Memorex works great ingame, so I can live with the minor hassles.

Bill

• 5 weeks later...

To the Laptop Experts -

I'm having some serious prob's running CMBO on my new (used) laptop. I don't mind the choppy framerates, honest - but CMBO continually accesses the CD-ROM drive while playing (or even just panning around the field!) That accessing is REALLY dogging things down for me. Having played CMBO over the course of nearly 2 years on various desktop iterations, I'm at a loss. ALso (but less important) it doesn't create a "prefs" file anymore. ?

My rig: Toshiba Tecra 8100, 256 RAM, 8 MB Savage video chip, Win 98SE, DX 7.0a, and a DVD-ROM drive. On my laptop, the BIOS is not accessable (don't get me started), but the hard drive does have DMA enabled, and the CD is set to "enable write-behind caching" to speed things up. No dice - that damn drive spins up every 3-5 seconds while playing.

Any help would be deeply appreciated!

Hpt. Lisse