Canadian History Lesson for BFC

I admit it, first thing out I opened up the editor.

Firstly, all my positive comments re: the demo apply equally to the game. Thanks BFC for releasing this. I like the small little manual that comes with the CD - the pages are clear and readable, and the cover design is well done - much better than previous manuals.

On to the lesson;

Dates of Employment

For some reason Canadians don't come up as an optional troop type in July 1944 Italy.

EDIT - well done. redface.gif:D The fact that the Canadian Corps was out of action in July 1944 is well reflected in the purchase screens.

Armour

Churchills

Canadians didn't use Churchills in action after Dieppe. Full stop. Please delete them entirely.

Shermans

The Sherman V was the mainstay of Canadian armoured regiments in the Italian campaign. 1 CAB was completely equipped with the V model and brought them from the UK to Sicily.

The 5th CAB left their Shermans behind in the UK in December of 1943, and re-equipped from British stocks in January 1944 after arrival in Italy.

The Governor General's Horse Guards was the only Canadian regiment to be equipped solely with the Sherman I and Sherman II, the other three regiments of the brigade were presumably equipped with the Sherman V.

The Firefly Ic apparently saw limited use in Italy also late in the war(being a Sherman I with the 17 pounder gun). The Sherman I with 105mm howitzer, in limited numbers, and known as the Sherman Ib, was also used in Canadian armoured units but it is not clear to me if they were used in Italy.

My source is THE SHERMAN IN CANADIAN SERVICE by Steve Guthrie, available from http://www.servicepub.com

If Battlefront would like, I have a spare copy I would be delighted to part with.

Thompsons

The Sten gun gaffe has been mentioned elsewhere, and as it has no effect on gameplay, I won't comment further.

Uniforms

My bread and butter - from what I've seen so far, very nice. Use of division patches was a nice touch, and I love the new 3D model of the helmet. Will be neat to see what Andrew Fox does with it (green/brown helmet nets and shell dressings I hope).

Bear in mind that every spring, battle dress was turned in and khaki drill uniforms were issued for summer wear. In the fall, battledress was again donned. I don't suppose it is possible to change this? I have spare copy of my own book DRESSED TO KILL which I would be delighted also to send on to BFC which highlights the Canadian summer uniform as worn in Italy (they actually wore British made KD).

I notice the British are wearing Mk III helmets rather than the Mk II; nice touch. I like the divisional patch on the British uniforms too. Well done.

Other

I won't comment on the mostly fictional :mad: scenarios involving Canadians :D (less than half a dozen), though I am indeed looking forward to playing all the nationalities, and perhaps with the Scenario of the Week thingie going on will actually make use of the CD scenarios a little more than I did with CMBB.

[ December 19, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Kitty:

Stop complaining and make my FSSF scenario.

Kitty

I had almost forgotten. It's frustrating on my laptop because in the editor, if you click on something, the screeen doesn't actually change until you click something else. It does that in the briefing screens, also. Very weird. In the 3D world, everything works fine. I should scour the tech forum for help with it, but I can't really be bothered as I pray to have my HD in my desktop back in place hopefully next week.

Originally posted by Member # 4691:

No Canadians in the war till 1944?? Someone should have told us! we wouldn't have showed up so early!

No, we're there in 43, but I tried to buy Canadians in July 1944 and it wouldn't let me! Haven't fooled around with the other dates yet.

Yes, it was set to Italy.

I tried Jan 45, and Canadians are there. See my complaint in the tech support forum as to navigating the editor, otherwise I would check out all the dates. Maybe Jul 44 was just a glitch?

Aug 44 works, too - but I tried Jul 44 again and no Canadians.

EDIT - I definitely need a history lesson - Dancocks says the I Canadian Corps came out of the line early in June and went into action again at the start of August.... redface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

[ December 19, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Thompsons

The Sten gun gaffe has been mentioned elsewhere, and as it has no effect on gameplay, I won't comment further.

That isn't quite true - swapping the Thompsons for Stens reduces the firepower of CW sections by 6% at 40m

Overall, it's nice to see more variation and choice in the CW OoBs (especially in the infantry), but there have been some weird omissions, and some weirder inclusions.

Like you, Mike, I could rattle off several suggested changes for a particular country of interest, changes which would better reflect the standards for given periods, but I wonder if it would make any difference?

Interestingly, the rank structure doesn't seemed to have changed a whit from CMBO, with the CW forces still using the US rank for any given appointment :(

Regards

JonS

I have spare copy of my own book DRESSED TO KILL which I would be delighted also to send on to BFC which highlights the Canadian summer uniform as worn in Italy (they actually wore British made KD).
Now... ahem... you could always send that to *me* to see what I could come up with, if you know what I mean and I think you do. smile.gif

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I have spare copy of my own book DRESSED TO KILL which I would be delighted also to send on to BFC which highlights the Canadian summer uniform as worn in Italy (they actually wore British made KD).

Now... ahem... you could always send that to *me* to see what I could come up with, if you know what I mean and I think you do. smile.gif </font>

Bumparoonie, and note to Andrew that your book will ship this afternoon or tomorrow, depending on the lines at the Post Office!

Can anyone verify that the Canadians ever actually used Sherman IIIs?

I cannot, but I seem to remember a similar conversation way back in the Olde Dayes. Maybe one of the BO archives has something Michael?

-dale

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kitty:

I want free books too! Send. =(

Kitty

I'll trade you for some pictures of yourself on Love Connection. Bonus volumes if you include a picture of Chuck Woolery touching you. </font>